IGNORED

Is The 280Z Fuel Injection a "Good" System?

Captain Obvious

It's my understanding that a larger throttle body won't increase airflow, because the limiting factor of the intake manifold throat diameter still remains.

The runners in the manifold are a limiting factor. Thats one of the big problems to overcome when playing with the standard EFI system. I have seen write-ups with custom manifolds, turbo manifolds and even a system with the LD28 diesel manifold. The only system I have seen with a custom manifold had major mods done to it and was using a MegaSquirt system. He also spent a lot of time on the dyno getting it right.

My first priority is getting it running right so he is back to factory specs, which I dont think my Z is at the moment. I seen a 260Z yesterday on the dyno (our clubs new years reception) and it had tripple webbers, mild cam and headers. It peaked at 138hp a little over 5200rpm. The Datsun 260Z should produce around 139hp standard. Thats a lot of money spent and no increase. The mechanic thinks he can get another 30 to 40 hp out of it by playing with the needles and timing. In many cases its sad but true.

Chas

Somrbody contact Mr. Edelbrock to notify him how a million Z engines desperately need a good-flowing cylinder head and intake manifold...

They already know. And its about 100,000 right now and of that number less then .5% might actually pay money. Remember, Edelbrock bought JG Engine Dynamics about 10 years ago and JG was/is one of the biggest Honda tuners out there. Javier also raced Datsun 240Zs for years and built some of the fastest road racing L6 engines available in the 1990s. Javier says that the Honda aftermarket is at least 30 times the size of the Datsun aftermarket.

Again, the Z market is teeny tiny and its financially silly to invest in the tooling required to make a custom intake manifold for the L6 when you'll probably only sell 10. Look on HybridZ and figure out the total sales for the two guys that made custom intake manifolds for the L6. Maybe 18 total over 10 years.

[i think I'll try the Cressida AFM swap, if I can locate one that fits what's in the wallet. Is the 83 model-year unit the only one? The 1983 Land cruiser AFM (4.2L engine) has a similar design

post-2169-14150822150875_thumb.jpg

Also, Some of the Ceressida AFMs you see on eBay have a tubular design, and state it's for the 1983 engine.

post-2169-14150822150688_thumb.jpg (eBay auction link)

Edited by TomoHawk

Somrbody contact Mr. Edelbrock to notify him how a million Z engines desperately need a good-flowing cylinder head and intake manifold...

Maybe Clifford Performance would be one to contact. Sadly Jack Clifford (6=8) is gone but the company still exists. I checked their site a couple years ago and they didn't have much for sale, checked it yesterday and the web site has improved with a lot of items (still nothing like when Jack was alive) but only US cars. They used to have cams, intakes and headers for Z's and 510's if I remember right. Whoever owns it now must still have the design drawings for that stuff. Their headers are the bomb - got em on my chev truck. They're also showing a bunch of throttle body F.I. stuff.

[i think I'll try the Cressida AFM swap, if I can locate one that fits what's in the wallet. Is the 83 model-year unit the only one? The 1983 Land cruiser AFM (4.2L engine) has a similar design

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59806[/ATTACH]

Also, Some of the Ceressida AFMs you see on eBay have a tubular design, and state it's for the 1983 engine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59805[/ATTACH] (eBay auction link)

I found this info about the cressida AFM. the AFM is p/n: 8208-22250 and the round thingy is p/n: 8208-17875? Or it might be something else.

(8208- )

Page 2 - 1983 Toyota Cressida 11148 17-03 Air Cleaner Parts

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/OEM-83-84-TOYOTA-CRESSIDA-AIR-FLOW-METER-22250-43140_160528909071.html

Edited by EuroDat
Second link didnt work

There seems to be only one thing left ot of the Cressida AFM swap. The inlet side of the AFM doesn't have the round connector for the air ducting. I think you could just use the one from the Datsun AFM, but I would have to dig up my spare AFM and confirm it.