IGNORED

Cheap place to buy tools with a decent array of tools.

jccampbe2001

I'll add one more thing.

Most "starter" kits include 12-point sockets and wrenches. 12-point sockets and box ends ought to be outlawed. OK, maybe that's a little strong...but they have no place in loosening or tightening a nut or bolt and should only be used when things just need to be turned.

With a 12 point wrench if you're in a tight spot, you need 30 degrees of rotation to get to the next point at which the wrench will fit onto the nut. If you have a 6 point wrench, that becomes 60 degrees. That said, I agree on the sockets, there is no advantage to a 12 point socket unless you're taking off a 12 point bolt or nut, but those are pretty rare.

Someone mentioned wrenches. How many WRENCHES are you guys breaking? I've worked as a mechanic and broken my share of sockets and ratchets, but wrenches I can count on one hand. So long as they aren't so weak as to spread the open end when you are using them, there is relatively little to be gained by buying the most expensive tools you can find (although I will admit that Snap-On has a knack for getting wrenches that fit into spots that most other wrenches don't fit into). Harbor Freight is great for stuff like extensions, wrenches, electric grinders, and cheap air tools and shop tools like hydraulic presses and vises. There are tools where quality counts: ratchets, screwdrivers, impact guns, sockets, and pliers for example, and for those that I use a lot I'll buy good tools. I do have a set of Snap-On 3/8" extensions that I cringe at every time I open my toolbox. What a waste of money, and I bought them at a time when I really didn't have any money to waste.

Here again, I must disagree. The way a quality wrench fits the fastener is of the greatest importance. It’s not about breaking the tool, it’s about removing or inserting the fastener unmolested. That is the most important thing.

As a side note, there is a certain feel that a high quality tool has to it, you get it in your hand and you just know the task is going to be done right. We all have that one favorite set of wrenches, ratchets and screw drivers, likewise, we all have that tool in the box that we hate to use and would toss in the trash if not for the knowledge that one day there will come a job that would prove fatal to one of the favorites.

As for Harbor Freight, I have their horizontal band saw, parts washer, press, 6” combination sander, bench grinder, 4” metal lathe and a power pony, all great tools for limited use, and worth every penny of the bargin basement prices they charge.

Craftsman -- Sears' brand, also available at K-Mart (which Sears owns). Nice hand tools. They've always been very serious about their warranties. If you can manage to break it, they'll replace it.
Craftsman were once considered to be in the upper eschelon as far as tools go. Nowdays, however, many of theri tools and accessories are manufactured overseas, as is the case with most tool manufacturers. Craftsman/Sears was actually sued a few years ago. They were accused of false advertising and consumer fraud for questionable use of the term "Made in USA". Most tools, even the so called 'cheap' tools like Harbor sells are warrantied in the same way. Edited by sblake01

Craftsman -- Sears' brand, also available at K-Mart (which Sears owns). Nice hand tools. They've always been very serious about their warranties. If you can manage to break it, they'll replace it.

Sorry FastWoman, but you have that backwards. It's K-Mart that owns Sears which they bought back around 04' I think.

Just to add to the "poll", I'm a long time Craftsman user and abuser.

Oh, me too. I'd say that more than 50% of my tools are Craftsman. It's just that Craftsman isn't the 'high and mighty' brand it once was.

Their quality isn't what it was in the 70's and 80's either. I like the Husky hand tools, made by Stanley for the most part, good quality, good selection and good prices.

I'd say that most of the Craftstman tools I own as well as the boxes/cabinets/chests etc. were purchased in the 70s and 80s. I can only recall having to replace one of the ratchets. I'm not knocking their quality; they're just not 'head and shoulders' above the competition.