IGNORED

Cheap place to buy tools with a decent array of tools.

jccampbe2001

Well it is time for christmas and I am ready to make my Christmas list. What is a good place to get tools for cheep online? Also it would need to be somewhere that had a good selection. I am new to working on a car so I have a limited amount of tools and in my head I have a nice little wish list.

Thanks

Do yourself a favor, buy good tools, not cheap tools. A cheap wrench will do more damage than you saved in the first place. Husky and Cobalt (Home depot & Lowes) are good quality, medium duty mechanics tools at decent prices. And you may pay a little more than you would on line, but youll save the shipping.

You are correct and I really used the wrong wording. The correct wording would be "inexpensive" "a good price" "bang for my buck"

A lot of the people that insist on buying me things prefer a website link to the exact thing or things that I want/need. Hence why I am looking for a good website.

I agree with what is stated above-with one corollary: While I hate to help the Chinese economy, there are certain tools that Harbor Freight is good for. Those would be tools that you use infrequently and would not otherwise buy due to their price. An example is my vernier caliper. I don't use it enough to justify paying $60.00. but for $14.99 it was worth it and its nice to have when needed.

Good tools last a life time. Cheap tools will only wizz you off.

I have never been let down by Craftsmen sockets & wrenches. I swear by Taylor Pneumatic tools. I think my IR 231 Impact Driver is the most useful tool I own. You can never own enough screw drivers. Own a 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 torque wrench, this way you can always have confidence in your handiwork. Harbor Freight is great for all of the little do-dads.

Sears Craftsman

Very well made tools - will last forever and replaceable if broken - nice close margins on the fit - reasonable price. Everything you need for basic / beginner working on cars. Save your money on a cheap tool box because you'll have more than one box in your lifetime and you will fill them up as you become more involved in this habit

Sears Craftsman

Very well made tools - will last forever and replaceable if broken - nice close margins on the fit - reasonable price. Everything you need for basic / beginner working on cars. Save your money on a cheap tool box because you'll have more than one box in your lifetime and you will fill them up as you become more involved in this habit

Agreed, my most commonly used tools seem to be Craftsman. Well made and I haven't had any problems with them.

Someone mentioned wrenches. How many WRENCHES are you guys breaking? I've worked as a mechanic and broken my share of sockets and ratchets, but wrenches I can count on one hand. So long as they aren't so weak as to spread the open end when you are using them, there is relatively little to be gained by buying the most expensive tools you can find (although I will admit that Snap-On has a knack for getting wrenches that fit into spots that most other wrenches don't fit into). Harbor Freight is great for stuff like extensions, wrenches, electric grinders, and cheap air tools and shop tools like hydraulic presses and vises. There are tools where quality counts: ratchets, screwdrivers, impact guns, sockets, and pliers for example, and for those that I use a lot I'll buy good tools. I do have a set of Snap-On 3/8" extensions that I cringe at every time I open my toolbox. What a waste of money, and I bought them at a time when I really didn't have any money to waste.

Edited by jmortensen