IGNORED

[2011] What did you do to/with your S30 today?

Arne

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing! Mine's been in the shop for almost 10 weeks!

The original motor has either 150,000 or 250,000 miles (probably the latter) and has been acting "tired', so I've decided to go ahead and swap in a turbo motor (and 5-speed transmission). A "friend" of mine said he would do it as he specializes in engine swaps. Well last I heard he hasn't touched it. Every excuse in the book.....the turbo motor was late getting there....his dad died....he's been overwhelmed by work....he's been sick. Driving me crazy! I know I don't drive it much this time of year.....but I want my car back!!

Without kids, Christmas night is pretty quiet, especially since after dinner I was about as stuffed as the turkey when it came out of the oven. Vowing to end this year right as a prelude to next year, I went ahead and ventured into the garage.

Several months ago I bought new foam & seat covers for the 260Z. They collected enough dust. I went after the passenger seat first. The PO installed a CD changer under the seat, making it a bear to get to the back bolts until I managed to wrestle the box out. I was amazed at how easy it was to remove the seat. I removed the back from the bottom and had my wife take a video of me removing the back, so that I could have a reference if need be. I just cut & tore off the back cover to reveal the nearly 40 year old foam and jute. I got the rings off the at the headrest and tossed the old cover and seat foam. The new seatback foam is resting on the frame now. Tomorrow, I will attack again in earnest. I hope to have at least one seat done tomorrow after the mandatory after Christmas retail trip. Fortunately, I think there is only one store on the agenda.

It felt so good doing something meaningful to the car again.

Merry Christmas, all.

Didn't do anything directly to the z but I did get my new 75k BTU gas furnace bolted to the 11ft ceilings in my garage. That wasn't much fun. Now I just have to run the power, gas, and ducting tomorrow and I will have a warm place to work/hangout this winter. It's about 20 degrees in there right now. Can't wait.

SteveJ, I would love some warm weather up here, but unfortunately, that won't happen until May. Hope with a warm garage that I'll be able to make some good progress on the '78. We just hauled the last two pickup loads of z parts back from Montana, where they were stored in my Dad's barn. I finally have all my car in one place. No I just have to reassemble them all.

I did the driver seat in the 260Z today with the help of my next door neighbor, a fellow car nut. My head brushes the headliner with the thick foam in place. Both of my Z cars had worn out seats, and I had no idea what new foam was like (other than in a new car). Even my wife seems more willing to ride in the car. :)

post-5413-1415081728853_thumb.jpg

post-5413-14150817288944_thumb.jpg