IGNORED

Sold on LEDs

SteveJ

21 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Can you help me sale this darkroom equipment I got stuck with?  I'll pay you part of what we can get.

20 years ago I could have.  I still have most of mine. :facepalm:

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

That's the 5 panel led without the top panel, so 4 leds and you still have to dim them down some.

I've got a couple other camera options and when I get a chance, I'll snap some shots with other cameras. Right now my car is still in pieces. The good weather snuck up on me and I started too many off-season projects this time!

About the brightness... Not only did I remove the top LED (which really helped combat hot-spots right next to the bulbs), but I also installed resistors to cut the brightness down even more. I doubt other people would go through that extra work of putting resistors in though. I do recommend removing the top emitter. I don't recommend going through all the effort of putting resistors inside unless you've got a screw loose.

I found that installing LED's is easy. The majority of my effort wasn't putting LED's in... It was in getting LED's to look "right". And be brightness matched to each other. And have even light dispersion without hot-spots. And without a haloing ring around the entire gauge because they are so durn bright. Devil is in the details and that's where most of the difficult effort was.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

You're welcome. Now every time you're driving at night, all you're gonna see is that dead spot.

Fix it... You know you want to!!   :)

When I get better, I will seriously consider it. :)

16 hours ago, dmorales-bello said:

Captain O, what a great and thorough job! It certainly seems like a lot of work but your lights look great, a mix of vintage green with modern tech. 

Dr. Dave, Thanks! I've got no green left though... My dash LED's look greenish in those pics simply because of my camera. In person they are white, not green. I really got to try to get some better shots...

3 hours ago, SteveJ said:

When I get better, I will seriously consider it. :)

Hopefully nothing serious!

• 8 months later...