IGNORED

JDM Headlight cover difference.

esprist

• 6 years later...
On ‎2010‎年‎11‎月‎28‎日 at 8:50 AM, Carl Beck said:

I've marked Kat's drawing - with some notes. The "new style" / "old style" used in the discussion seemed confusing to me. So does "earlier" and "later" - -

My OEM/NOS set, packaged in the brown box, marked with the 63900-E4126 & 63901-E4126 numbers are the "new style" on Kat's noted drawing. They have black rubber & the OEM mounting hardware.

Looking at Ron's trim rings - I'd say his are also the new style - according to Kat's drawing noted.

In the original Post - the headlight cover sitting on the new Red/white/blue box - would seem to be the Old Style - as noted in Kats drawings. {the front mounting hole is only a couple inches from the top edge}.

Do I have kat's drawing marked wrong??

FWIW,

Carl

post-3609-14150812871449_thumb.jpg

Thanks Carl, it was 7 years ago you added note on my sketch.

Now I tend to think like this, " NEW STYLE" is earlier than "OLD STYLE" ,  after seeing and reading all of our sources.

NEW STYLE will be  E4100/E4126,  OLD STYLE will be E8726.

As I said before, people in Japan believe OLD STYLE was a ploblem of cracking lens, so Nissan changed NEW STYLE to prevent cracking.

But I think it would not be correct, Nissan might made NEW STYLE first, then people had a problem of accumurating moisture inside of lens.

Nissan might took action to prevent moisture coming in the lens, so they changed screw position.

Attached picture assists my guess, please see the part number " E8731" and this head lamp case has pre-drilled  OLD STYLE screw position.

We know E87xx is later number than E4xxx.

If OLD STYLE screw position is earlier , then why this head lamp case has E8731 ? And also why NEW STYLE cover / trim ring has E4126 ?

What do you think of it ?

Or are we already clear of this issue ?

Kats 

eitoshi8104-img600x450-1354081689nvandi15593.jpg

eitoshi8104-img600x450-13540816441hlznf16548.jpg

eitoshi8104-img600x450-1354081608p8tif812548.jpg

Thanks Chris and Blue, no , the cases is someone's property, I just saved pictures in my laptop.

Seeing the Fairlady parts catalog , pre-drilled cases made a debut at the same time when Fairlady-240Z-L  (HS30) went on sale.  HS30 has lamp covers as a STD equipment . Fairlady-240Z (HS30S ) does not. Fairlady-240ZG (HS30H ) has covers G-nose version as you already know.

Kats

IMG_4524.JPG

IMG_4525.JPG

Edited by kats

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, scotta said:

what year is this sales flyer from? i.e when did the JDM move from the S30, 2.0L engine to the 2.4L engine?

They didn't move from the 2 litre engine to the 2.4 litre engine. What happened was that three different L24-engined HS30-prefixed models were added to the existing two L20A-engined and two S20-engined models in October 1971, giving Japan a choice of no less than seven distinct S30-series Z models at that point. 

The brochure above corresponds with the October 1971 release of the L24-engined models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1