Month 2 - Running and Registered - completed Phase 1 plans.
Today marks a major milestone for Looey. She is now running and registered (and passed DMV inspection in MA).
Temperature gauge sorted; replacement sensor sorted the issues.
Found out some interesting news. Looey is a 72 not a 73 as the PO thought - and what was on the papers. Information from Kats shows the chassis numbers clearly indicate a 72, likely build in Sept / Oct.
The biggest challenge was diagnosing an electrical fault. When I turned on the indicators the headlights would light up. Turns out PO had installed a US 73 indicator arm, not realising the JDM Fairlady arm has a flash to pass circuit that means it is all wired differently. Took me some time to learn that and diagnose the issue. Ended up getting a Fairlady Z-L electrical diagram. A great help. There are a few differences in the circuits, including colours. As for the indicator, I had the old parts; so a clean and rebuild of the switches and all sorted.
I replaced the speedo cable; it was missing. Bit of a pain to connect up at the gauge. Not much room there on the JDM Fairlady. Also took the opportunity to replace the gearbox speedo o-ring and seal at the same time.
Printed myself a new battery hold down clamp
Discovered a few other things;
- discovered that the retaining clips for the hard lines to soft lines were missing. I put them in, however experienced minor leaks from the front lines. On inspection the mating faces are damaged. They will need to be cleaned and fixed. Good enough for now however.
- discovered there were no bearing in the gearshift lever. One of the most satisfying job was installing them as it made the box feel much, much better and only an hours work.
- discovered no rubber boot on the gearbox/ gearshift lever - easy fix.
- discovered some dodgy wiring on the side running lights. Easy fix and luckly the only electrical mods i have found.
- Discovered the hard way that the heater core had a leak. Lots of anti-freeze in the passenger footwell. Blocked off the heater for now. Another item added to the Phase 2 list.
- Discovered reversing switch was broken - luckily not needed to pass inspection. replacement on order, will be a quick fix.
- discovered the windshield washer pump and jets were missing. A local 240z club member came to the rescue.
- discovered how much fun it has been to go through and progressively fix stuff.
- discovered she runs remarkably well.
Next is phase 2 - fixing high priority items + some fun distractions.