IGNORED

New seats

TriDawgn

These came in yesterday morning, so today i cleaned them up a bit with some Mothers leather cleaner and conditioner. Here's a side by side with the ones that were in the car when i bought it :laugh: .. Needless to say i knew i needed to do somthing about the seats, and i got these on ebay for half of what it would have cost to have the originals re-foamed and covered. They are out of a 2002 BMW 320i. All manual controls, so it will be nice i won't have to rewire anything for them, and the have height adjustment! I'll definitly post pictures of the swap when i put them in :classic:

32225754001_large.jpg

:love:

Please post photos of the install process. I'm sure they wont be plug and play and I would be interested in seeing how much fabrication is required to install them.

I'll definitely put some pictures up for sure, i know seat swapping has been a popular topic around here. I plan on using something like 2x2" square steel tubing to make some mounting points which ill weld to the new floor pans i have to put in anyway. Just waiting for my MIG welder to arrive which has been backordered. Should be in mid November.

Your originals are a bit rare... I would recover them but everyone has a different perspective.

They really aren't in very good shape, it just wouldnt be practical for me to redo them on my current budget or i probably would. They would need all the lever trim bits as well. If anybody did want to take them on, id be happy to give them away for cost of shipping. Id also be happy to post more detailed pictures of their condition.

It depends on your available equipment too. I purchased the cover kit from Classic Datsun Motorsport and that was the extent of the $ involved. I have a bead blaster so I took apart the assemblies on both sides and after bead blasting I refinished them. If you don't have a bead blaster, then that adds to the $ involved. Mine are red and now look like new. Yours should look good and it looks like they sit low enough. I wonder about that side pod thing on them though. Not a lot of room for it.

It depends on your available equipment too. I purchased the cover kit from Classic Datsun Motorsport and that was the extent of the $ involved. I have a bead blaster so I took apart the assemblies on both sides and after bead blasting I refinished them. If you don't have a bead blaster, then that adds to the $ involved. Mine are red and now look like new. Yours should look good and it looks like they sit low enough. I wonder about that side pod thing on them though. Not a lot of room for it.

At the moment i dont have any kind of blasting equipment. I have taken some rough measurements and including the side controls for the new seats, they are nearly identical.. less than half an inch difference side to side, and front to back. the only difference i can see is that the rails on the new seats are much wider than the originals, about 5" wider.

Can you Post a picture of the bottom of the BMW seats? You might have to remove the original rails - and make a new mount for the original 240Z rails. Also, you will want mount the BMW seats as low as possible. This will provide room between the seat and steering wheel for your legs and entry/exit.

good luck,

Carl B.

Based on the picture - it would appear that the BMW seat back is wider than the OEM seat. This may or may not be a problem. The wider seat back, can hit both the inner-fender well and/or the transmission tunnel, if you recline the seat back when the seat is at its most rearward position.

Another issue that I've ran into - is that the right side seats, do not move as far rearward as the left side seats. This can be an issue with taller passengers in the right side seats, plus it is hard to see around them if you are in the left seat. It "seems" like the right side seat rails have rearward stops - that do not allow the seat to go as far rearward - as the left side seat rails. Although I'm not certain it is the rails.

post-3609-14150812511219_thumb.jpg