IGNORED

Now what can go wrong?

Pomorza

Hello all

So this past weekend I pulled the old radiator and hoses. I took the car for a ride today only to hear a loud whining noise coming when accelerating. I come to my house to find radiator fluid dripping from the front of the engine...from the water pump. So I'm guessing a new water pump is in order....:mad:

Two questions. One. Does everything on Z's happen in the cascading manner in which things break in bunches that are related (i.e thermostat, then radiator and now the blasted water pump.) Secondly. What are you guys recommendation on water pumps. Is autozone ok or should I use MSA? Any advise would be welcome.

Jan

I had the same thing happen to my 74. Whining noise and then coolant everywhere. It happened about a week after I installed my ZTherapy carbs, so, of course, my shiny new domes and all the other new parts got covered in coolant. The pump was around 6 months old and had less than 300 miles on it. It was a brand new Airtex brand pump with a lifetime warranty that I got from Advance Auto Parts. I got a new one under warranty, so we'll see how long this one lasts. Mine was leaking (pouring) out the front shaft seal. The weep hole was dry and unstained.

I leaning on ordering the pump from MSA as they also sell the studs that hold it on. I'm pretty sure mine is pour out of the weep hole as it pours on the engine block. I haven't really taken a look at it but I'm positive its from the pump.

Thanks for the help

Jan

Regarding the first question, years of doing my own maintenance on many cars has taught me to not take half measures, because related things do fail together. So if I was going to replace my radiator, I'd normally plan on replacing all the hoses, thermostat, pump, etc. as part of the job.

Just make sure to coat them with Anti-Seize paste so they don't rust into place and be careful when tightening the long skinny bolt(s) as they like to snap easily. Personal experience.

I replaced mine 6 years ago with a Schucks/Cragen/Checker Auto Parts brand and have had NO problems yet.

And by the way.... NEVER ask "what Else can go wrong?" Never!!

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

You guys haven't by chance accidentally put your wallet/paycheck/checkbook etc. on the center console, have you?

Believe this or not; if you've done that, the car KNOWS you have money. Period.

Don't laugh.... it gets worse.

I'll let others, disbelievers at first, who now, do NOT do that, and rarely have problems.

It's been discussed before.

Do NOT rest, even for a moment, ANY KIND OF FINANCIAL INSTRUMENT on the center console.

FWIW, my 2¢

E

If my water pump suddenly springs a leak, I'll likely call NAPA to see if they have one available. I'll probably shop around and see if my friends can get it from Worldpac or something equally reputable. I typically avoid Autozone, but if it's under warranty, and you still trust getting a warranty replacement from them, go with the free replacement.

I'd probably call the Nissan dealer to satisfy my curiosity what an OE one might cost (if it's available). 9 times out of 10 I'll go with OE if it's close to the aftermarket price... it does happen sometimes

Thanks guys.

I ordered a pump and the studs (the bolts that hold it on) from MSA. Cost me roughly $45 with the rebate I have to my door. It comes with the pump, gasket, and the fan studs. If anyone has used the pumps MSA sells please let me know how it worked out.

Thanks

Jan

Edited by Pomorza

Jan, anytime you hear a whining noise, you have a bearing that's going out. If it's on your water pump or alternator, those parts will fail pretty soon down the road, as the seal or brush assembly gets torn up (respectively).

I've been going with AutoZone parts for some of my work. So far they've been very good about tracking purchases/records, and their lifetime warranties are pretty attractive. So far I've had one warranty return (an alternator) that went smoothly. That doesn't speak well for the part, but at least the customer service has been good. At least where I am, I don't do much business with Advance, even though they're closer. The folks there have not a clue about cars and have botched my orders. The local NAPA guy is great, especially for boats, but he's a bit out of his element with foreign cars. I wish my local Nissan dealer had a clue about Z parts, but they threw out all their parts microfiches. Anyway, where I'm located, AutoZone seems to be my best local auto parts source.