IGNORED

HLS30-OOO13 Has Been Found!

EVILC

Why don't u people leave Frank alone, He is a amazing Z fan and is very exicited. He just wanted give people a a heads up about the find and that's all. Yeah, He went a little over board but that's Frank. And if u knew him u would not have posted the negative comments. for he is one of nicest Z guys u could possibly meet.

Wow, this is one of the reasons I love this forum and you guys as well. Thanks for the debate, history lesson, and the entertainment. I'm just soaking all this in an can't wait to see where it takes us. I'm no expert on any of this nor do I have any opinion, just curiosity. In my little world, my Z (or Zed for the rest of the world :P) is the most significant Z and nothing will change that for me. :)

Edited by =Enigma=

Why don't u people leave Frank alone, He is a amazing Z fan and is very exicited. He just wanted give people a a heads up about the find and that's all. Yeah, He went a little over board but that's Frank. And if u knew him u would not have posted the negative comments. for he is one of nicest Z guys u could possibly meet.

Please understand that NOTHING in this thread is any kind of personal attack on Frank T.

One or two of us care somewhat passionately about the story behind these cars, and just about all of us have a different view on certain aspects of that story. I think it's healthy for us to discuss these things on forums like this, as I think we can all get something positive out of it, and learn things that we otherwise would not. It can get a little overheated sometimes, but the gas seems to be self-regulating and things usually get back to normal fairly quickly. Along with the heat comes a little light.......

Yesterday I signed up as a member to the ctzcc.com forum ( with the intention of asking some questions 'at source', so to speak ) and soon after I received a very warm welcoming PM from Frank. A nice touch, and indicative of a close-knit 'local' club forum atmosphere I think.

I haven't posted anything on the ctzcc.com forum yet, but I just wanted to make it clear that none of this is personal, so there's no need for any 'leave him alone' type protests. I know that this thread has been linked on the original ctzcc.com that it pointed to, and that some of the ctzcc.com forum members have already expressed their disapproval of some of the comments here. That's fine by me, but I'd like to make the point that I believe this kind of discussion is healthy. It's the very definition of what the word forum is supposed to mean.

Cheers,

Alan T.

That is what happens after drinking a bottle of homemade wine and come on to this forum.

Since we r all caretakers of our Z's and this one (00013) so significant. Has anyone given thought to after the car being restored that it could be put into the Datsun Heritage Museum for all to appreciate. It could be brought out to special event such as the National Z Car Convention and the like.

Just my 2 pennies

Jim

That is what happens after drinking a bottle of homemade wine and come on to this forum.

Since we r all caretakers of our Z's and this one (00013) so significant. Has anyone given thought to after the car being restored that it could be put into the Datsun Heritage Museum for all to appreciate. It could be brought out to special event such as the National Z Car Convention and the like.

Just my 2 pennies

Jim

Jim, I would think it would be best to see how well the car can be cleaned up without a full restoration. To me that would make this low vin number car more valuable. The old cliche "its only original once" seems to fit with this car. As to the question of what is it worth, the only limit to the value of this car is how much money someone is willing to spend to be able to claim they own this low vin HLS30.

When I first posted to this thread, there were only 25 replies. This is the first chance I have had to catch up on this thread. I have to admit I am disappointed to see that no more facts or information about HLS30 00013 have been shared despite the number of posts made to this thread.

Can we bring this discussion back on topic please?

Edited by mgmoreau

• 3 weeks later...

On a per capita basis the US still leads any other market. Japan included

Seriously, I have to ask what 'per capita' in this context means?

There were something like 78,000 S30/S31 vehicles produced exclusively for the Japanese Domestic Market. That's from 69-77 when the S130 was introduced there. They sucked down almost as much at Canada if you look at the 69-72 models (73 started the 'Series 2' models with the new dash board and tail lights...the 260Z if you will)

Per Capita I would think a market that consumed 78K Z's which in spirit and essence are almost identical to the original 240Z might indicate how seriously Nissan took the Japanese Domestic Market. That is phenomenal sales for a single sports car in that market, at that time. ESPECIALLY when you consider the selling price, and per capita income of the average Japanese at the time...

Per capita, Japanese probably had more Z's than America.

Then again, per square KM, that undoubtably is true.

Yeah, it's about the same production of the North American Market 260Z...and we all know how popular that model is in North America...

:ermm:

Edited by Tony D

Per capita, Japanese probably had more Z's than America.

Take a minute to look up historical population numbers and 240Z production for the years I was referring to (70-73) and you'll see there's no "probably". Not even close.

It's just some perspective. No claim was made by me that the 240Z was wholly designed for the US market. It would be logical to assume Nissan were aware of the huge market potential of the US when designing the 240Z though.

Steve

It's just some perspective. No claim was made by me that the 240Z was wholly designed for the US market. It would be logical to assume Nissan were aware of the huge market potential of the US when designing the 240Z though.

Yes, of course they were. But they were not just designing "the 240Z", and they were not only designing a car to be sold in the USA.

Here's some of the claptrap you come up against when you point that out:

The 240-Z was specifically designed for the US market - and every other variation was simply a side benefit to Nissan of no where near the significance in the overall scheme of things.
The Fairlady Z's are interesting and they allowed Nissan to sell a few more cars in their home market - but your assertion that they were "as important", "as significant" or evenly weighted in the design consideration of the Z - are simply - well - your opinion. However I would suggest that your opinion is not based on any real facts nor sound logic.
The real story of the Z Car - is carried by the Datsun 240-Z - as specified, as designed, as built for the American market.

See?

Yes, of course they were. But they were not just designing "the 240Z", and they were not only designing a car to be sold in the USA.

When I say 240Z I mean all S30 variants '70-'73. I use 240Z to exclude the 260Z and 280Z which would be included if I said S30. Is there a better shorthand way to say it?

I have no interest in the designed for the World vs. US debate as it doesn't change how I feel about the cars I own. They could be designed for Martians for all I care. I understand that you do and that's fine. We all enjoy the sport in our own way.

Steve