IGNORED

Konig Rewinds from Motorsport

MEZZZ

Sorry for the post on this, I have searched and done some reading on here and it actually made me want to post this even more afterward.

I am going to buy some 15X7 Konig Rewinds from Motorsports. They state online to call for tire and wheel specials, which I did,

He quoted me for the 15X7 along with 4 Toyo Proxes V-Rated 225/60-15 ready to mount for 987.80 plus freight.

I asked him if there would be any rubbing and he said no, bolt right on. no issues. I told him that I also would be buying Tokico HP shocks and Eibach lowering springs. He then told me these would not rub with the one inch drop with the Eibachs. He also said the come with center caps with the Z logo. I told him I needed to read up and would get back.

From what I have read, there is an issue with the center caps. I have also read posts where some claim they have rubbing with 225/60/15 with a 1 inch drop. I dont want to go this wide and have issues.

Can anyone chime in on this? Would I be better off getting a 205/60/15 locally and just buying the rims for $549? I read good and bad with the Toyos as well. I dont want to drop over a grand on these and regret it. Or any other reasonably priced options.

Thanks

Edited by MEZZZ

225/60-15 are rather tall, 2 sizes taller than stock. Add in the extra width and lowering the car, and I suspect that you could have some rubbing.

205/60-15 are about stock height. If you want more width, many like 225/50-15, although that size is a bit shorter than stock. Either of those will probably fit a lowered 280Z without issues.

I've used Toyo Proxes tires on various cars for years. Had the "Proxes 4" on the BMW, liked them a lot.

I have thought about going with 16's, I know the 15's are going to be an issue down the road.

I should have stated my intentions with the car. Just want a fun driver, no racing, autocross. I want a somewhat decent ride, thats why I decided on Eibachs. I was going to go with the KYB gas shocks with them but read not to mix them with lowering springs.

I need to replace bushings, etc and want to go with a mix of rubber and urethane.

Arne, Ive read many of your posts last night btw, thanks!

Those are the same wheel/tire combination I got for my Z. Regarding the center caps, the rear ones fit fine, but in order to get the front ones on, I had to pry the caps off the hubs, otherwise the hub is too long, and the center cap won't snap all the way on. Even with the caps off the hub, you'll probably need a rubber mallet to get them all the way on.

...want a somewhat decent ride, thats why I decided on Eibachs. I was going to go with the KYB gas shocks with them but read not to mix them with lowering springs.

I hope this isn't too much of a derail...

I've got the Tokico blue HP shocks and their matching springs (which appear to be progressive front, linear rear), and I've got to say that it can be a pretty brutally rough ride at times... I have all rubber bushings, mostly original. I'm not sure if replacing them with new will help my situation. I've still got the stock front sway bar, and no rear sway bar.

The roads in Austin aren't that bad, but construction very often leaves rough spots, which are just bone jarring. I can't imagine it's great for the car either.

I'd like to hear what you think about the Eibach springs/Tokico shocks setup once you've tried them out.

I have a '71 Z that is lowered using Tokico struts and springs. I run Rewinds in 15/7 with 225/50/15 shaved Proxes. All good, no clearance issues. Don't know about 280. I don't run the center caps because they don't fit over the dust caps on the front. Since they are plastic, and since I track my car, it's better to just leave them off!

Edited by WW2Winger

From what I have read, there is an issue with the center caps.

Thanks

When I got my 15" Rewinds from MSA a couple years ago, they included a set of extended center caps and "Z" emblems to replace the standard caps that don't easily fit on the front wheels. Did they mention if they still do that?

Dennis

My 72 is exactly as you describe, eibach and shocks, 15x7 graphite rewinds and 225/50/15 BF Goodies G_force Sport. They look good. The caps for the front will fit if you bang your wheel bearing cap with a hammer til you see the cotter pin from the outside dent, they will then fit. In this photo the front caps aren't on because I didn't bash them in yet. I put the Z logo ones from an 82 on the rear, no way they will fit the front. DON'T get brake fluid on the rims it will F*&k the clear up bad. Good luck.

whitez.jpg

Consider 16" wheels. It is hard and will be getting harder to find tires for 15" wheels.
I understand the sentiment on this, but for your average Z owner and strictly for street use, the selection of 15" tires is just fine. About the same as 16", actually, as the very best track-capable tires are often not available in sizes smaller than 17".

Also, your typical street-tuned S30 (with suspension mods as noted in this thread) can't really make full use of the really good, modern tires anyway. Too dang wide.

So as noted here, there are still plenty of pretty darn good high-performance tires made in 225/50-15. Now for 14", that's a totally different story....