IGNORED

The making of reproduction parts.

hls30.com

Today I am starting to get together everything to make some reproduction parts, I am hindered today by the unexpected illness of my son number 1, so I will not have as much time as I expected, but as he naps, and soaks up comfort, I will be doing some, if not all the following things-between Daddy duty!

1) getting all of the original parts I want to reproduce together in one spot.

2) Maximizing the condition of my original parts(cleaning and repairing)

3) Storing the ready parts until I am ready to actually make the molds

4) Getting appropriate containers for building the molds

5) Getting together the appropriate supplies for making the molds

6) Actually start making molds

My intent is to post the basics of what I am doing here, not to take the time away from actually making the parts to make a technical article. Later on-probably when I have a set of Seat protectors to make a mold of, I will shoot a video of the entire process.

I will post a picture of each of the progress of each of the 6 stages above-and list the parts that will be available at the end.

Will

PS. I will be posting the parts for sale on a couple of websites after they are made, and reviewed by several members on a thread in the vendors area.

Pics of original parts to come...

Here is my list of what I have ready to clean up, and continue on.

Where there is no part number, I have not narrowed it down to exactly which version I have.

1) Early 240Z Ashtray Body

2) Two versions of the lid for the above

3) Mask-Radio Aperture Radio Blanking Plate 68835-E4100 NOS part

4) Early 240Z Console Finisher(Choke Plate) 86720-E4100 NOS Part

5) Grommet-heat glass switch (86722-E8700) hole cover for above

6) parking light hole cover for the early console above

7) Clip-Safety Belt (86640-E4100) short version seat belt hooks

8) Late 240Z Console Lid (above the Fuse Box) and hole covers(nos Parts)

9) Early 240Z Heater Control Panel 68600-E4102 NOS Part

10) Late 240Z Heater Control Panel 68830-E8201 NOS Part

11) front fender packing 63811-e4100

12) Boot-bulb inst finisher RH 68836-N3301

13) Boot-bulb inst finisher LH 688368-N3302

14) gasket for the 240z door mirror(gasket for 96301-E4600) NOS Part

15) Seal-cover hinge tail gasket RH (90410-E4101) hatch hinge boot NOS Part

16) Seal-cover hinge tail gasket LH (90411-E4101) hatch hinge boot NOS Part

17) Tube-Drain (90828-E4101) Tube for hatch vent NOS Part

18) Rim (26433-E4100) unshrouded map light frame

19) Choke/Throttle knobs

20) Emblem-Instrument (68850-E4600) glove box emblem

21) the late 240Z console emblem

22) 240Z shifter knob emblems 4spd and 5 spd

23) switch paddle/pull

24) early 240Z Shift boot grommet.

25) The knob and stalk for red dot rearview mirror-maybe the head as well

I am behind today because of a sick wee one, I do have a few more parts to find that I have and intend to make molds of-hopefully later tonight I will round them up and add them to the list.

If you have suggestions for parts you would like added-please post them, if you have examples of parts that you would not mind loaning me, pm me for my address. Again, unless you don't pack them well, the only thing you will notice when you get them back within 2 weeks(10 business days) of my receiving them is they may be cleaner. I will also send you a replacement set of what ever you send me.

If you don't have donor parts but do need some of these reproductions, they will be made available on several websites to be announced in the vendor forum here-if you have something you would like to make available to the S30 community, pm me about that too.

For those of you that want to know the quality of these parts,

I am going to be sending examples of them to several impartial but highly knowledgeable members to evaluate and post reviews of. Before everyone hits me up to be a reviewer, I have already picked them.

Will

PS if any of these parts is still available from Nissan USA, then I will be casting it in substantially different materials/finishes than the original part, or I have made a mistake in my research. I will be submitting an order to my local Nissan Dealer for every part number I verify and reproduce, and use the results of that order to verify that my reproductions will not create issues with Nissan USA/North America.

Thanks Will! Hope your little one feels better. I would add knobs for the radio to the list. I have extras if you need some to use. Regarding #5 and #6 (the rubber plugs for the defroster and parking switches on early VINs), make sure they fit the holes in the console cover (#4). As I recall the originals I have only seem to fit the console that they came with, because the holes are a slightly different size. I can verify that tonight when I get home.

-Mike

MikeB,

I have a couple of sets of the radio knobs, but if you could post a pic so I can make sure to repro the early ones. Radio Face plates(I have one for the '72) are on my wish list...

Please verify the plug sizes, I have three different early choke plates-ultimately I will make a mold of all three.

Will

PS, I will set up a week just after the first for a repeat of this performance to get the parts people are sending in.

PSS on the seat belt clips, I will insert a supporting wire into the reproduction for strength just as the original has.

Gary,

I was given a NOS set, I just today verified their fit on the hinges and in the pocket on the body of my car. I am going to be casting the hard parts this week, and maybe the soft parts depending on what the Holidays do to the delivery of my supply order-already delayed two days... But the molds will be made this week

Will

Will, I believe early heater control panels and ashtrays would be fast sellers.....I'd be in for one of each for my 1970! Your a brave man Will for considering this effort.

Tom

Ditto on all points!

That is quite an impressive list already Will. You are to be commended for taking on these endeavors. Our cars will be the better for it. Brake tube/fuel line insulators immediately come to mind as something that has been mentioned and desired by many of us also. Good luck and take good care of those little guys

The headlight covers are much more involved in that If I had to make each set by hand, no one would pay for my time in them-so I have to farm out the work to people with less opportunity cost per hour than I have.

I am also having the same company quote me on casting the PS mirror stalks, hardware, and a few other suprises!

The insulators are in the works with another member-I am making a set of molds for my car this week as well, and if his fall through, I will make mine available.

I listed the most excellent parts I have accumulated. Including one each of the non-lit and the backlit heater control panels-I have not worked out the chroming process for them, but I do have other ideas. I also have other versions that will need some cleanup and repair, I will work on them for the second set of molds, but, I am in hopes someone will loan me better examples to start with.

I also have a few surprises for a member or two...

Will

Well, tomorrow is now a write off-gotta take the number one son to two Doctors apptments(thank goodness for answering machines) one at 9:30, and the other at 2:30-unless they get an earlier opening, and our local Z meeting at 7.

Hopefully I'll get the boy well, and Wednesday will be make mold day! I have a few parts left to clean, and then I just have to match up containers, bed and pour!

Will