IGNORED

SpareTire

graham53

Question? what are you guys doing for a spare tire? I will soon have new 17" wheels to go with my big brake kit and have realized that no spare is going to fit over the brakes??? Does anyone make just a steel wheel that would work?

Thanks

Question? what are you guys doing for a spare tire?
Me? Stock 14x4.5 steel with stock size 175HR14 Michelin XAS. But that won't help you.

Big brakes do complicate this. I'd check the wrecking yards for one of those skinny high pressure spares the late model cars come with. Try one for a four lug Honda Accord. Same bolt pattern, steel wheel with lots of caliper clearance. Might work well.

Arne did you have any trouble getting a 175HR14 sized tire? Last time I was at the local Discount Tire Co. getting some new tires, they told me the size for an exact spare replacement didn't exist anymore. I currently have the original spare as it came from the factory. I've had to use it once or twice in a pinch, but I feel really sketchy relying on 35 year old rubber.

My spare is about 20 years old, it came in the back of my former parts car. To the best of my knowledge, there's only a few small rubber companies still making 175-14s. I think the only one being imported into the USA is the Vredestein Sprint+. Vredestein also makes the Sprint Classic (whose tread design I prefer) in that size, but I haven't been able to find a US distributor that carries that one, just the +.

Side note - the currently available P185/75-14 is very close to the 175-14, about the same height but 10 mm wider. Still fits a 4.5" wide rim, too.

The factory "space saver" spare is definately the way to go.

Here in Oz they are readily available from Japanese Importers.

After all they are not the trendiest looking wheel:disappoin

As long as it fits your PCD and clears the brake hardware, since they are only intended for short trips to get the real tyre fixed.

It will also fit in your spare wheel well whereas a fat tyre on a wide rim hasn't got a chance.

One caveat though, make sure it is an INFLATED space saver. I think Nissan had, at one stage, a flat spare which you, hopefully, inflated with a can of air.

Sounds a bit whacko to me but there you go:ermm:

My 280Z had the deflated spare tire in it when I got it, and certain GM cars had them in the 70s. I even tried to help a motorist once to mount that spare wheel and inflate it, but the air was gone and te tire wouldn't hold the air. Fortunately, it was in front of my house, so we broke out the electric air compressor.

The can of air is sometimes found on eBay, but I wonder how well it will work, and a can of air for your hobby airbrush might be better off, with the electric inflator as the standby.

The spare in my car was worthless, except for rubbing through the paint in the bottom of the spare wheel well. I have since excused it and prefer the full-size spare.

thx

Though I'm not sure that it will clear a big brake upgrade since it's on a 14" rim, the 'flat spare' works. I have one in my 78. The can of air or Tire Inflator as Nissan calls it is still available. Though not the original, they work fine and I've bought two them over the years. Part number 999M1-300ZX. I'd rather have a new one than take my chances with a used one on eBay. The drawback to them might be the cost--about $70.

4503l3d.jpg

Just out of curiousity, when was the last time any of you all had a flat tire? I personally can't remember having a flat tire in over 30 years....maybe just lucky or maybe just paying attention!!? I also run no spare tire in my 240Z....with 17" wheels.

Tom