IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

About he ZG bumper, this gap is necessary 

for proving it is genuine part. Some of you may think it is not right , but it is right.

After market “fake” ZG bumpers appeared perfect, without any gap between the head light case and the bumper, for us , that is uneasy, just does not look right.

Here is my spare ZG NOS bumper, please note the fresh color and it’s shape. You can feel the soft material, it is flexible. No fighting to fitting into the body.

Kats

2AF891DC-78F4-4E4B-BAEA-DC34F69A5E5F.png

487F69E7-BAE8-4AF5-BEB7-83177363ACFA.jpeg

FCD1F40C-62CE-402E-92D5-015BBDB328DD.jpeg

EBC834C1-DE4B-44BF-BC1C-DE0020AEBB0E.jpeg

• Like 2

Gavin, thank you for the wonderful video, I enjoyed it so much. I have got my blue 240Z in year 2000 too! 

You will miss the car, I did not know there was a combination of red and white for RHD models, nice car !

I do not know how I can tell the number of the automatic transmission in the range of HS30-10001-10634 . 

I guess the reason why Nissan started numbering  “10001” from Oct 1971 was Nissan wanted to distinguish Fairlady-240Z series easily from other cars, i.e Datsun 240Z RHD which shares the same HS30 as a body serial number. 

If, the first Fairlady 240Z has like  “HS30-2657” , I can see it could be a little bit difficult to imagine what car is an early and what is late for Japanese engineers ,dealers, mechanics, etc.

Anyway we have to have this in mind, the data of HS30 after Oct 1971 , it means both Fairlady 240Z series (Japanese model) and Datsun 240Z (export model) .

And I do not know why, Nissan jumped for big number onece again, they started HS30-100001 from Sep 1972 .

So Gavin, your data is very useful to guess how many HS30 were made until Oct 1971? I see there might be like 2000 HS30 cars there. And of course they were all export HS30 cars.

I guess approximate 2000 HS30 cars before Oct 1971, then 4000 HS30 cars up to Sep 1972, 3000 HS30 cars up to Sep 1973.  

And we have an “official data” from Nissan , it says they started HS30-10001 from Oct 1971 as same as debut of Fairlady-240Z series in Japan and they made HS30-10634 in Jan 1972. And the FS5C71A was used between HS30-10001 to HS30-10634 .

If we can deduct a number of the automatic transmission car, we will see the true number of “FS5C71A with a  NEW center console RHD L24 engind S30”

About the transmission cross member, it seems to me it is custom made , very well done.

Kats

Thanks Kats,

I will send you a PM with access to the spreadsheet I'm collecting information in, where possible I've denoted Japanese market cars also, as it helps plug gaps in HS30 number sequences. I've shared it with Alan previously also, it's a bit of a pet project of mine.

The mount is custom yes, but I don't have any photos of the original transmission mount. Next time I am with the car (it's in Melbourne, not Sydney with me) I will try and take a photo for you, it's definitely unique and would suit the 71 gearbox.

When I bought my 72 240z (HS30 10552) it had the L28 installed with 240K gearbox, I later went back to the previous owners house to collect the original L24 engine, and the owner asked if I wanted the 71A gearbox - I said no.. Regretfully I should have taken it, but didn't think it was used in my car, because at the time I thought it was only in early 70 models. (I learnt later about the box being used till late 71).

• Thanks 1

What a lovely example, I just love survivors like these you can just see, feel, smell the hsitory of then when you open the door and hop in.

It looks like a Fairlady Z-S with 4 speed box, no Rally Clock, Hitachi radio (without power antenna) and auto-seek tuning feature.

I haven't seen many Japanese market cars in 919 yellow, in fact is very rare on HS30's sent to Australia also.

• Like 2

Great photos of the 1970 Z-S Kats!  Thanks for sharing.  We don't get to see many photos of the Z-S cars, so these are a good reference.  As I mentioned to you, my 1970 Fairlady Z-L is also yellow, but I am debating painting it 907 green after the body work is done.  The car does look good in yellow, but I really like the early green.  I have never changed the color on one of my cars, but I am changing it from an automatic to an early 5 speed and the car was acid dipped so no paint remains on the car. I think this would be the perfect time to change the color.

Gavin, in addition to my yellow 1970, Kirk Towner also has a yellow 1970 and I saw another yellow Fairlady for sale in my area a few years ago.

-Mike

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gav240z said:

What a lovely example, I just love survivors like these you can just see, feel, smell the hsitory of then when you open the door and hop in.

It looks like a Fairlady Z-S with 4 speed box, no Rally Clock, Hitachi radio (without power antenna) and auto-seek tuning feature.

Lovely 'ZStd' details. I noted the non-heated rear window and switch blanking plug, rubber mats instead of carpet, no bumper trim and can just about see the clock delete blanking trim (I want!). Rear spoiler would have been a later addition.

What a great survivor. Chassis number is probably close to that of my '70 Z-L. Love it!

• Like 3

On 4/27/2018 at 3:00 AM, kats said:

About he ZG bumper, this gap is necessary 

for proving it is genuine part. Some of you may think it is not right , but it is right.

After market “fake” ZG bumpers appeared perfect, without any gap between the head light case and the bumper, for us , that is uneasy, just does not look right.

EBC834C1-DE4B-44BF-BC1C-DE0020AEBB0E.jpeg

Kats,
I have had SO many people over the years tell me that my ZG was "damaged" or "wrong" because of this detail. They haven't seen genuine OEM parts before.

I was always reassured to see 'the gap'. It was a semi-secret way of telling OEM parts from replicas.

Thank you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Lovely 'ZStd' details. I noted the non-heated rear window and switch blanking plug, rubber mats instead of carpet, no bumper trim and can just about see the clock delete blanking trim (I want!). Rear spoiler would have been a later addition.

What a great survivor. Chassis number is probably close to that of my '70 Z-L. Love it!

Thanks Alan !!

and we see the absence of glove box light !

Anybody thinks it is cool the skinny Dunlop tire ? I love it so much , no one can beat this car ...

What kind a woman had owned it ? Maybe she was given as a birthday present for turning  20 ?( in Japan 20 become adult, 18 can drive a car) anyway she was not like an ordinary 1970 Japanese people.

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

On 2018/4/29 at 8:51 PM, Mike B said:

Great photos of the 1970 Z-S Kats!  Thanks for sharing.  We don't get to see many photos of the Z-S cars, so these are a good reference.  As I mentioned to you, my 1970 Fairlady Z-L is also yellow, but I am debating painting it 907 green after the body work is done.  The car does look good in yellow, but I really like the early green.  I have never changed the color on one of my cars, but I am changing it from an automatic to an early 5 speed and the car was acid dipped so no paint remains on the car. I think this would be the perfect time to change the color.

Gavin, in addition to my yellow 1970, Kirk Towner also has a yellow 1970 and I saw another yellow Fairlady for sale in my area a few years ago.

-Mike

Hi Mike, I love green too, my best is green with Tan interior like Chris’s 26th & 27th .

I wish we had same color combination like export models. 

Is it a good idea selling my all Four Zs to buy this DINO 246 GTS ( not enough,  even half of its price ) , same 2.4 Litter and 6 cylinder , 2 seater. I really love colored interior, like this Tan , Blue , white  and red , they are all beautiful.

One Z432 now on sale , too much expensive.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r242251606

Kats

5381BEC1-128B-4811-AF6D-B7C14419AC0E.jpeg