IGNORED

Early Shift Boots

Mckrack

Will,

I took some measurement from mine. The inner diameter of the grommet is 1/2 inch, the outer diameter of the top half is 1 inch, and the outer diameter of the bottom half is 1 1/8 inches. See last picture above to see this variation. Total grommet thichness is 5/16 inch, and groove width is between 1/16 & 3/32 inch. The material, to me, looks more like a synthetic, very pliable, shiny material instead of molded rubber.

Dan

http://www.badgerrubber.net/size3a.htm

It looks like either BG152 or BG153 might work as replacements. I just emailed the company to find out about cost and minimum order size. I'll post whatever response I get.

-Mike

Jump back into the conversation,

I really thought Steele would have something, and I realize it specializes in American stuff, but if you aren't satisfied then I will go along with it. I'm just not at the stage of needing special rubber parts that I don't already have. I have a shift boot as well as a couple of the lace types. I was planning to have new boots made from my pattern and such, HOWEVER there seems to be a ground swell gaining here and I would happily jump on the support bandwagon to buy at least two shift boot replicas. Let me know.

Chris

Hey Guys,

I received the prototype yesterday. He did an absolutely fantastic job on this piece. The workmanship is top notch!! As far as I can tell the pattern is very true to the original. The material is about the same in thickness as the original. The grain of the vinyl is very, very close to the original. Check the pictures out. I placed a swatch of the original vinyl on top of the boot for comparison. I hope the grain is visible enough in these pictures.

All in all I am pretty thrilled with the results. This piece would be pretty hard to tell from an original one. Major Kudos on the workmanship!!!!

Let me know what you guys think.

Marty

Looks like a perfect match to me from the pics and I have the utmost confidence in Marty's opinion. Beautiful work! I think everyone who wanted them will still want them for sure. Probably more will express interest now they can see the prototype.

Hey Guys,

I received the prototype yesterday. He did an absolutely fantastic job on this piece. The workmanship is top notch!! As far as I can tell the pattern is very true to the original. The material is about the same in thickness as the original. The grain of the vinyl is very, very close to the original. Check the pictures out. I placed a swatch of the original vinyl on top of the boot for comparison. I hope the grain is visible enough in these pictures.

All in all I am pretty thrilled with the results. This piece would be pretty hard to tell from an original one. Major Kudos on the workmanship!!!!

Let me know what you guys think.

Marty

Most excellent job, there, Marty. I'm looking at my NOS boot right now, and I can't see any real differences. The vinyl grain is a perfect match, and the stitching is exactly what my boot shows.

If I were going to split hairs with you, and it is difficult to tell from the picture of the full boot, my boot, from the mid circumferal stitching to the top measures 2 1/8 inches, and 6 inches to the bottom of the boot. The top part of your boot appears to be a bit taller than the 2 1/8 inches, but this could just be the photo angle.

Don't you just hate it when someone in the crowd does that.

Seriously, that is a tremendous job. I'd certainly get one if I didn't have mine.

Dan

Most excellent job, there, Marty. I'm looking at my NOS boot right now, and I can't see any real differences. The vinyl grain is a perfect match, and the stitching is exactly what my boot shows.

If I were going to split hairs with you, and it is difficult to tell from the picture of the full boot, my boot, from the mid circumferal stitching to the top measures 2 1/8 inches, and 6 inches to the bottom of the boot. The top part of your boot appears to be a bit taller than the 2 1/8 inches, but this could just be the photo angle.

Don't you just hate it when someone in the crowd does that.

Seriously, that is a tremendous job. I'd certainly get one if I didn't have mine.

Dan

Ok, Mr. hairsplitter. I did ask for your opinion, LOL!! So I just measured it. the top is 2 1/4" and the bottom portion is 6". Hey, it's close enough for me and I tend get pretty picky about originality.

As for the price and lead time, you have to ask LBO730, as he the one with the talent that made it.

So far I have not found a source for the grommet that is real close to the original. I did find a rubber grommet at Ace Hardware that measures 1/2" ID and 31/32" OD. It cost me 75 cents. It's pretty close to the correct size, but not the correct material.

Marty