IGNORED

Early Shift Boots

Mckrack

HLS I don't have any specific problems right now except for trying to find some parts.ery hard to find parts like the rubber grommet on the shift boot for the early Z cars. But I will ask when things come up. I will get some pics when I can figure out how to do it.

The Burt Reynolds thing is interesting.

David,

Thanks very much for trying to help me out but that's not it. In the series one ands early series 2 cars 1969, 70, 71 the shift boot was the original design, no laces. It was a closed end boot and there was a small rubber grommet at the top of the boot as the boot slid over the shifter rod. In the seconfd half of 71 Nissan changed the design to a laced boot because it was to expensive to make the original. I need that griommet and they are almost impossible to find unless you get it out of a parts car.

But thatnk you anyway I appreciate you going out your way for me.

Mckrack

In the series one ands early series 2 cars 1969, 70, 71 the shift boot was the original design, no laces. It was a closed end boot and there was a small rubber grommet at the top of the boot as the boot slid over the shifter rod. In the seconfd half of 71 Nissan changed the design to a laced boot because it was to expensive to make the original. I need that griommet and they are almost impossible to find unless you get it out of a parts car.

My late '71 (7/71) still has its original shift boot without laces, so I know exactly what you are talking about. My boot is pretty deteriorated, so I'd love to hear of a source for this early style boot.

I'd say not. Doesn't look quite right to me. Looks more like an aftermarket boot. If I had to guess I'd say that one looks like a WheelSkins brand boot.

The attached picture doesn't show it as well as it could, but gives the idea.

My late '71 (7/71) still has its original shift boot without laces, so I know exactly what you are talking about. My boot is pretty deteriorated, so I'd love to hear of a source for this early style boot.

Well, I learn something new every day here. One more early part that I have to look for. My Nov 69 car has a laced boot, so it must have been replaced at some point. I didn't even know that there was an early type...

Well, I learn something new every day here. One more early part that I have to look for. My Nov 69 car has a laced boot, so it must have been replaced at some point. I didn't even know that there was an early type...
The original no-lace boot was apparently part #75150-E4101, which was superceded by 75150-E8700 at some long ago point. The parts CD does not give a production date range for the early boot. So my guess is that as soon as the change was made, all replacements were the later lace-up boot.

The original boot was made of pretty thin (read - cheap) vinyl, and actually could be reproduced fairly easily, I suppose, since I do have an intact one for a pattern. I may look into that.

Here are some (rather grainy) scanned images from the first two Road & Track articles on the 240Z, which also show the early boot.

We should perhaps move this discussion into Will's "240Z variations" thread...

HLS I don't have any specific problems right now except for trying to find some parts.ery hard to find parts like the rubber grommet on the shift boot for the early Z cars. But I will ask when things come up. I will get some pics when I can figure out how to do it.

The Burt Reynolds thing is interesting.

Interesting that this search for shift boot grommet topic came up. I have a NOS early shift boot that will be going on my car, but have recently been looking for a source for this grommet, myself. My thought was to have this boot reproduced before I install it, if there appeared to be any sort of demand. If anyone is able to come up with a part number for this grommet, I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Japan supplier can often find impossible items.

Dan

Interesting that this search for shift boot grommet topic came up. I have a NOS early shift boot that will be going on my car, but have recently been looking for a source for this grommet, myself. My thought was to have this boot reproduced before I install it, if there appeared to be any sort of demand. If anyone is able to come up with a part number for this grommet, I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Japan supplier can often find impossible items.
Well, I still have the grommet for mine. I will take pictures and measurements of it when I next have the console apart.