IGNORED

Forum etiquette suggestions

Arne

Arne,

A lot of the long-time members have stopped posting in the time you've been here because of the A-holes on here that think their *@#$ don't stink...(these are newer members that have low post counts but act as though they've posted 5000 times)....these are the guys that never start a thread (or if they do it's to get an answer to a question that could've been searched) and they always have something to say about what someone else has done. "I would've done it like this" or "I would've done this" I see this all the time...instead of respecting what someone has done, analyze their work, and appreciate the fact that the person went to the trouble of not only doing this work to their car, but actually sharing to the forum what they did, in the hopes that this would help somebody in the future. If not help 100%, maybe just one small tip that was included. I have done quite a few posts like this, and it never fails, one of these guys always replies saying "I would've done it this way..."

Well if you would've done it, why didn't you do it? and then share it with us?

My .02 dollars...but you are right...people need to lighten up. If you've seen me get pissed off, its because of these posters who are quick to criticize (sp?) but never have anything original to contribute--that pisses me off to no end.....

I enjoy everyones posts and enjoy the diversity of having people on multiple continents sharing information about such a beautiful car that all of us have in common. The Zed is truly a wonderful car to base a hobby around, and this forum adds to the enjoyment of owning and maintaining my Z car TREMENDOUSLY!

On that note, thank you all for helping me enjoy my car more! Keep all of your posts coming!!!!!!!

I've said enough.....

• 5 years later...

Folks, I've only been around here for 9 months or so, but I can't have helped but notice that this site has a higher level of unfriendliness than other car-related forums I've frequented in the past. I know from things I've read here that we have lost knowledgeable people in the past to this attitude, and since I freely admit that I don't know it all, I'd like to make a couple of friendly suggestions on how we all (including myself) can make this a more welcoming site.

1.) Lighten up on the noobs and other mis-posters. Yes, maybe they don't know anything. Why? Probably because they're noobs! (We've all been there.) But they may have fresh ideas and info to offer, once they get rolling, so we don't want to chase them off after their first few posts. You can count on them continuing to ask about putting 240Z bumpers on their 280Z, and probably to ask that question in the Tech Articles forum. Oh well. It's going to happen, we need to accept it and move on. Assure them that it has been asked before, maybe link them to a simple search on their topic and let them learn from there.

2.) We need to think about how our replies to other folks' posts sound, before we hit submit. (I'm personally bad about this one.) Use the Preview button and read it through. If we don't agree, fine, but don't try to be sarcastic or 'cute' with your reply - sarcasm and such doesn't come across well in this medium because facial expressions and tone of voice are absent. It often just ends up sounding mean.

It may sound trite, but making this forum a welcoming and courteous place to get and share info is in all our best interests.

look at this

look at this
That quote is totally out of context, and now irrelevant. The forums were going through a bit of a rough patch back then (6 years, yikes!), a different kind of problem than what some members are now complaining about, If anything, the forums are friendlier on noobs now than in the past.

As with any social group, new members pop in and try to join the conversations. Sometimes they don't understand the social rules of the culture and make inappropriate comments, dominate conversations, or otherwise embarrass themselves. In time, these folks either conform to the norm, move on, or cause others to move on.

Unfortunately, they rarely see that they are the problem and, instead, point the finger at others. Years ago my wife, who is a psychologist, taught me an important lesson. She said, "We each live in our own reality." That helps me understand how people can be completely out of line yet think they're fitting in nicely. While I might be annoyed, I understand.

Dennis

Folks, I've only been around here for 9 months or so, but I can't have helped but notice that this site has a higher level of unfriendliness than other car-related forums I've frequented in the past. I know from things I've read here that we have lost knowledgeable people in the past to this attitude, and since I freely admit that I don't know it all, I'd like to make a couple of friendly suggestions on how we all (including myself) can make this a more welcoming site.

1.) Lighten up on the noobs and other mis-posters. Yes, maybe they don't know anything. Why? Probably because they're noobs! (We've all been there.) But they may have fresh ideas and info to offer, once they get rolling, so we don't want to chase them off after their first few posts. You can count on them continuing to ask about putting 240Z bumpers on their 280Z, and probably to ask that question in the Tech Articles forum. Oh well. It's going to happen, we need to accept it and move on. Assure them that it has been asked before, maybe link them to a simple search on their topic and let them learn from there.

2.) We need to think about how our replies to other folks' posts sound, before we hit submit. (I'm personally bad about this one.) Use the Preview button and read it through. If we don't agree, fine, but don't try to be sarcastic or 'cute' with your reply - sarcasm and such doesn't come across well in this medium because facial expressions and tone of voice are absent. It often just ends up sounding mean.

It may sound trite, but making this forum a welcoming and courteous place to get and share info is in all our best interests.

A Porsche guy tell'n Datsun guys what to do??????? Take it to the track bud :)

LOL

Good stuff Arne... you are always a great example no matter what you drive.

Arne,

I had to go back to my profile and look up my join date to see if I qualified to post on this thread! Ha, ha, ha,...This site is a study in social discourse! Somebody should do a research project! Laugh, giggle, laugh, ha, ha. Of all the crap I've seen over the years! OMG, I'm going to wet my pants!

Chris

Once a Datsun guy.....always a Datsun guy. Every time I ever sold a 510 or 240 Z, I always longed to smell the distinctive smell of the interior of a Datsun again. I've owned 911's and yes they are fun, but not quite as easy or fun to wrench as the 240 z. I'm very sure that there is another Z in Arne's future. All IMO!