IGNORED

Forum etiquette suggestions

Arne

Folks, I've only been around here for 9 months or so, but I can't have helped but notice that this site has a higher level of unfriendliness than other car-related forums I've frequented in the past. I know from things I've read here that we have lost knowledgeable people in the past to this attitude, and since I freely admit that I don't know it all, I'd like to make a couple of friendly suggestions on how we all (including myself) can make this a more welcoming site.

1.) Lighten up on the noobs and other mis-posters. Yes, maybe they don't know anything. Why? Probably because they're noobs! (We've all been there.) But they may have fresh ideas and info to offer, once they get rolling, so we don't want to chase them off after their first few posts. You can count on them continuing to ask about putting 240Z bumpers on their 280Z, and probably to ask that question in the Tech Articles forum. Oh well. It's going to happen, we need to accept it and move on. Assure them that it has been asked before, maybe link them to a simple search on their topic and let them learn from there.

2.) We need to think about how our replies to other folks' posts sound, before we hit submit. (I'm personally bad about this one.) Use the Preview button and read it through. If we don't agree, fine, but don't try to be sarcastic or 'cute' with your reply - sarcasm and such doesn't come across well in this medium because facial expressions and tone of voice are absent. It often just ends up sounding mean.

It may sound trite, but making this forum a welcoming and courteous place to get and share info is in all our best interests.

1.) Lighten up on the noobs and other mis-posters. Yes, maybe they don't know anything. Why? Probably because they're noobs! (We've all been there.) But they may have fresh ideas and info to offer, once they get rolling, so we don't want to chase them off after their first few posts. You can count on them continuing to ask about putting 240Z bumpers on their 280Z, and probably to ask that question in the Tech Articles forum. Oh well. It's going to happen, we need to accept it and move on. Assure them that it has been asked before, maybe link them to a simple search on their topic and let them learn from there.

Hey I asked that 240z bumper question .... :tapemouth ..... but then again I posted it not so much as a 'how' but as 'Is this something that is not-cool-to-do'. LOL

I really think the best way to gain userability is to develop the "Members Articles" section. That way once people ask a question you just post the appropriate article. While direction them to the search fuction is nice and all, you don't always come across relevent information quickly and spend an hour looking for the right information.

Folks, I've only been around here for 9 months or so, but I can't have helped but notice that this site has a higher level of unfriendliness than other car-related forums I've frequented in the past. I know from things I've read here that we have lost knowledgeable people in the past to this attitude, and since I freely admit that I don't know it all, I'd like to make a couple of friendly suggestions on how we all (including myself) can make this a more welcoming site.

2.) We need to think about how our replies to other folks' posts sound, before we hit submit. (I'm personally bad about this one.) Use the Preview button and read it through. If we don't agree, fine, but don't try to be sarcastic or 'cute' with your reply - sarcasm and such doesn't come across well in this medium because facial expressions and tone of voice are absent. It often just ends up sounding mean.

It may sound trite, but making this forum a welcoming and courteous place to get and share info is in all our best interests.

Certainly sound advise however, I don't think this site has a real issue compared to most other car sites. Many seem to be nothing more than forums for venting! When ever you deal with the general populous you're always doing to get all the fringe eliment.....I think you know what I mean. Again, your suggestions are good! It's good to see you are trying to improve things......a round of applause for Arne!

We can certainly be hard on people from time to time and there are a few people who do not appear to get along and others who may be considered irritating by some. I would have to agree that this site is still better than any other Z site on the web though. Don't believe that then visit zcar.com and you will see how childish people can really be.

I think we're pretty well behaved. There are a few who get alarmed over a hot topic. I get reports from time to time about how "They" are "at it again", But this is a disscussion forum after all, and things can get hot from time to time.

Sometimes, some of our best information comes out when the talk gets hot.

i lasted about 4 posts at the other 'zcar' site. very sarcastic, smartass responses to valid questions which were posed only after extensive searching. ran away from there like i was on fire.

lurked here for awhile to make sure i wasn't getting into another 'same old' crappy site.

was very pleasantly surprised and impressed with the kindness, knowledge , and willingness to help of all members who seemed to really just care

ONLY about the Z.

it seems a majority of the members (young and old) are definitely more mature and don't sweat the small stuff (i hate pissing contests, i've got better things to do with my time).

yes, it can get heated at times. a lot of different people and a lot of different opinions. and we do occasionally get a stiff but that's life.

on the whole, you are all a great bunch of guys/gals and i consider this site one of the great resources on the web.

on the whole, you are all a great bunch of guys/gals and i consider this site one of the great resources on the web.

There's a reason this site is the start page on my browser, and a reason why I'm here pretty much whenever I'm online.

This is one of, if not the best car-based discussion forum I've ever seen. As such, I'd like to keep it that way and I hope that anyone that might ever have a problem with me or something I say, be willing to take that up with me and not make a flame war.

That said, I don't PLAN to be a pain in the rear, but we all have our moments.

THIS PLACE RULES! 'Nuff said.

was very pleasantly surprised and impressed with the kindness, knowledge , and willingness to help of all members who seemed to really just care

ONLY about the Z.

I don't JUST care only about my 240z. I care about boobs too!:love:

There's always room for improvement, but this is definietly one of the better and more mature car related forums on the web. I can hardly walk by a computer without checking to see what new posts have been added. There's always going to be a few that like to make trouble, but don't let that ruin it for you, and don't contribute if you can help yourself.