IGNORED

Basic Winter Storage Tips

DatsunZsRule

I have a heated , or partially heated garage . But my boat is out in the weather. any fuel tank that is not full and is subject to the fluctuations in temp and the cold dampness will condence water in the air void . This is why it is so important for the tank to be kept full . I still fill the Z tank because with us opening the door to drive our other car the temp does go up and down greatly especially when the temp is down in he 20s or so. Cheep insurance . Well not as cheep as before , but you know what I mean, Gary

So what's the gas cap for? the e-check people check your fuel system for pressure, meaning air can't get in or out, so whatever little moisture that's in there when store the car will be in there next spring.

Just add whatever last gas you want on a less humid day- IF you believe that stuff. Or drop a bag of dessicant in there or some gas drier before storing.

Doesn't matter. The large temperature change from extream cold one day to more mild the next creates moisture. Kinda like when your cold beer can sweats on a hot day. It's the same effect INSIDE a gas tank with it half full. Sealed or not. You have to worry about this mostly when spring comes and it really starts to warm up.

Absolutely ! Why do you think that these cars that have been stored for years , have all the rust in the bottom of the fuel tanks ? This is also why it is good to change the oil in the crankcase before storage. Moisture in the crank case combines with the products of incomplete combustion and makes acid and rust. When you warm up the engine to normal temp, which takes a while really , then change the oil and filter . Then start her up again and let the oil pressure come up then shut her down for the winter. This will put a film on all the bearings . If you want to really do some thing , pull the plugs and put some oil in the cylinders say a teaspoon full and turn the engine over . Put the plugs back in and you are good to put her away and not to worry. Again this may not be necessary but it cost only your time and it wont hurt anything. The oil soaked rag in the tail pipe at this point is good also. I stored my Yahama for 15 yrs this way and she started right up with no problems after all that time. I did need to do a little with the carbs but carb cleaner took care of that. :laugh: