IGNORED

Basic Winter Storage Tips

DatsunZsRule

Pretty simple and basic but thought I'd share how I do it. It's getting that time of year for us Z nuts that live in the cold climate that have to protect our Z's from the sloppy slushy salty roads :(

Before I tuck my Z away in the garage for the long winter season, I double check all my fluid levels and condition, then I clean the exterior really good and give it a good wax job. Then I squirt oil into all my doors, hatch, and hood to protect it from moisture. I also make sure the gas tank is FULL, then I remove the battery for obvious reasons. Once they freeze, there junk. Then I put half a can of Sea Foam into the gas tank to stabilize the fuel. Then last but not least I install my dust cover :)

After doing the above, I store my battery in my basement on a flat piece of wood because putting a car or deep cycle battery on a concrete floor is bad for them.

During the winter months I put the battery in it to start it up and run it for a little while then take the battery out again about once or twice a month. Reason you want to do this is so the top half of the motor gets some lubrication.

Anyway this is how I Winterize my Z every fall before the snow flies. Man the thought of cold and snow makes me cringe :sick:

My personal tip is to stay off the roads until after a decent rain to wash off the salt residue from the streets (if you live inthe salt-belt). Even if the road is dry, the salt can get up on the car, and hide until some water activates it to eat through the paint. :surprised :eek: :finger:

Yep, I always wait until AFTER the first hard spring rain fall before I break her out in spring.

As for the "battery on concrete" thing. Yeah, "It's not a problem provided the top of the battery is clean and free from wet or dried electrolyte and is the SAME TEMPERATURE as the floor". I don't screw around and take chances so I put mine on a piece of wood because my basement floor during the winter is pretty cold to the touch while the room temp. is much warmer.

Thats just my opinion.

I think the idea to FILL the tank before storing is a good one- who wants to stop at a gas station (boring) after rescuing the car? Just get in and GO!! (sort of) On the other hand, make sure you're not leaking fuel. Mine was dripping for an hour while I baught & changed the fuel filter. It was mostly empty to begin with, and I almost ran dry getting to the nearest gas station. :finger:

millermatic, If your storing your car in a heated garage, then yes it's fine to leave it in with the battery diconnected. Many of us however don't have that luxury. :) I hope to though soon :D

TomoHawk, I lost you after "I think the idea to FILL the tank before storing is a good one" ?????????