IGNORED

Z specialites Hi Amp Alternator

landmizzle

I have to agree with beandip, using a relayes system for your headlights and upgrading the wiring, you will have no trouble with your lights or anything like that. It is one of the things you should do to your Z.

As for the alternator upgrade, I used the Nissan Maxima 95amp alternator, for my upgrade. It was simple, I just changed the bushing so the bets fit properly, and I couldnt be happier, I have a lifetime gaurantee, and it was much cheaper as well and a local buy.

Not knocking that alternator upgrade at all, its just I like to do things myself and make it acessable as to where I would have to order and wait.

Glad to hear your woes are over, but I would upgrade the wiring, it will only help.

i've only used dave's so i haven't any personal experience with vb's. i know dave's is more expensive (about 2X) than vb's with shipping but after reading about some of the installation quirks and seeing the pics of the harness, i'd still buy dave's.

check these two threads:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18141&highlight=vb+harness

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14466&page=1&pp=15&highlight=vb+harness

bart

I used an 81ZX alternator on my 73 240... Puts out 60amp I think...

BTW I had to wire in a diode inline such that when I turned the key off the engine also turned off... I'm assuming I would keep this mod in place if I were to switch to the 105 Amp ZSpecialties unit... right?

-e

BTW I had to wire in a diode inline such that when I turned the key off the engine also turned off... I'm assuming I would keep this mod in place if I were to switch to the 105 Amp ZSpecialties unit... right?

-e

That's the route I took as well. Funny thing was, when I first did the upgrade I wasn't aware of using the diode! So, quess what...I started the car, everything was fine and I thought to myself...another fine job LOLLOL except when I went to shut off the engine....surprise, surprise, it kept running :disappoin . Made a few calls and a trip to the local electronics store and installed the diode Eric is talking about. Been working perfectly ever since.

Thanks Bart.....

With the Z Specialties alt you don't have to change any bushings or install any diodes.... it is about as close to plug and play as you can get. As I mentioned, I installed a heavier cable to the battery but that was my choice. 105 amps is great..... will try to send Dan a PM regarding his harness.... George

-e

Well it would be like any other internally regualted upgrade and it is from the 1995 Nissan Maxima.

I cant recall the exact name of the part but it sits under the pulley of the alternator.

All you have to do if I remember correctly is to use the bushing and pulley from your stock alternator, or reduce the size of the bushing with the new alternator. Attach your pulley, and set up the Z for an internally regulated alternator, and now you have a good 95 amp alt for under 90 dollars.