IGNORED

Z specialites Hi Amp Alternator

landmizzle

Hi all,

Using the search function I came across several questions regarding Z Specialties 105 Amp Alternator. I just purchased one and thought I share my experience with it.

Since I've owned my '72 240Z, she has always had "slow" turn signals. I've replaced the flasher unit, the switch on the steering column, cleaned connnectors, and probably a whole lot more over the several years I've owned her. Some of this actions made marginal differences but, the end results were not completely satisfying.

Two months ago I had A/C installed in my 240Z using the kit from MSA. Works great btw here in the central valley of California. The resulting drain on the electrical system with the fan turned on high and the brake lights on at a stop caused the turns signals to simpley glow steady-your choice left or right.

Several more "fixes" later, things had not improved and I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the 105 AMP alternator from Z Specialties. What really attracted me was the claim that the alternator cranked out 50 AMPs at idle and came fully "on" by 2500 RPM. In addition, the claimed "plug n' play" was very alluring due to the fact that I didn't want to butcher my Z.

Once I received the alternator and read the instructions, I realized that the installation was almost "plug n' play". At least with the unit I received.

The alternator is internally regulated so you don't want to use the stock external regulator. The instructions mention that you simply don't need the "T" plug connector and should tape over it to protect it. In addition, if looks are a concern you can leave the external regulator in place. You should disconnect it from the wiring harness and tape over the plug also. This is what I did.

So far so good. My eyes widened however, when I realized that the two wires from the harness that go to the alternator had connectors ( O ends) that were too small to fit on the terminals on the unit. The supplier had thoughtfully provided two connectors that you can attach to these wires after clipping the original ones off. I really didn't like this idea as I didn't want to butcher the wires especially if the alternator wasn't all it claimed to be and/or I wanted to return the car to it's original configuration.

After thinking about it for awhile, I determined I could use the cutting wheel on my Dremel to cut a slit into the O connecters and in effect make C connecters. I could the spread the C abit so that the ends would fit over the terminals. This is exactly what I did and it worked great.

The alernator fit into place perfectly and required no extra brackets.

The results, I can now turn on my headlights (even brights), have the brake pedal depressed, A/C on with fan turned on high, radio on, radar detector connected, and the turns signals work fine (engine at idle obviously.).

I'm very pleased with the results and happy I made the swap. Short of the wire connector crafting, the unit is plug n' play. So in the end let's call it almost plug n' play.

Hope this helps someone!

Best Regards,

Landmizzle '72 240Z

Hi all,

So far so good. My eyes widened however, when I realized that the two wires from the harness that go to the alternator had connectors ( O ends) that were too small to fit on the terminals on the unit. The supplier had thoughtfully provided two connectors that you can attach to these wires after clipping the original ones off. I really didn't like this idea as I didn't want to butcher the wires especially if the alternator wasn't all it claimed to be and/or I wanted to return the car to it's original configuration.

After thinking about it for awhile, I determined I could use the cutting wheel on my Dremel to cut a slit into the O connecters and in effect make C connecters. I could the spread the C abit so that the ends would fit over the terminals. This is exactly what I did and it worked great.

I'm very pleased with the results and happy I made the swap. Short of the wire connector crafting, the unit is plug n' play. So in the end let's call it almost plug n' play.

I recently bought and installed a Z Specialty Alt and couldn’t be happier. This is one of the best mods I have ever done to my car. Regarding your consternation concerning the connections, that is really a small point. I did use the stock ground wire but the hot was completely replaced with a thicker gauge wire with a proper solder on the connection ring that fits onto the alt. Can’t say enough good things about this mod…. Even if you do not require a lot of juice, car seems to run so much better….. Enjoy your blinkers…. George

No. I've heard about this modification and mixed reviews on how successful it's been for people who've tried it. Based on the mixed reviews, I've never followed up on it in detail.

Best Reviews,

Landmizzle '72 240Z

Did you check out the differences between what you purchased and the GM one wire alternator?

I cannot advise strong enough , install the wire loom up grade for your head lights . The origional wireing that you are now still using was just marginal 33years ago . The light switch will last and not burn out , they are hard to find and costly . The head lights tail lights dash lights , all of it will be about 40% brighter just with this up grade. It is a direct plug in and uses the same factory type of connecters . One of our members makes them and has offered them for sale . I installed one on my '73 and escanlon did on his '71 the both of us could not be happier . The loom is done 1st class . I have no connection with the maker other than I bought one of his and am vary impressed. I am now running H-4 and I think they are 60-90s . I may have to tone them down a little . LOL but I shure can see now . However I can run them on hi-beam or low and and the fuze in the pannel isn't even warm to the touch . Gary

Gary,

Do you know who is selling the harness? I know that VB has a harness in their catalog ($29.95) but that seems like just for the high and low beams. Is this harness sold by one of our members cover the rear/tail lights also? Thanks, George

heartily recommend this upgrade.

zsondabrain (Dave Irwin) sells the harness. check for current price but believe me, the quality of his fabrication and the boost in brightness make it worth the money. it's totally 'plug and play', fits perfectly and looks like it came original with the car.

plus he's a nice guy who will answer any questions that come up during installation.

bart