IGNORED

strong gas scent

broken74

how did you decide that that was where the leak was coming from?

First there was a noise telling me there was a leak and also at idle I could occasionnaly see some fume coming from the gasket. When I dismanteled the pipe I realized that almost one quarter of the gasket was desintegrated. It'smetallic and the rust got into at eat it ...

hey guys,

is it likely at all that the large cam i have in my car is spitting out a bunch of unspent gas in my exhaust and or when i had my car tuned it had to be tuned rich to feed the cam and that's what is causing most of this? or that along with my hatch seal? though the hatch seal is in place and in tact you think it being a lil bent out of place on the sides could be allowing the exhaust fumes to be sucked into the cabin?

thanks,

brian

Carl and Frank are telling you to check things that I've found to be problems in the past on my cars. Have you checked the integrity of your exhaust system from manifold to muffler? Instead of WD-40 I use dielectric grease (silicone) to refresh seals. It will also show if you are getting good contact on the sealing surfaces. You keep going back to your cam and unspent gas. What do your spark plugs show? Are you lugging the engine or are you using the RPM's that the cam is designed for? A good muffler shop could help you with the exhaust inspection, and a tune up shop with an exhaust analyzer can tell if you're overloaded with unburned hydrocarbons.

i've been under the car pretty recently and the piping and exhaust seem to be fine and i dont hear any exhaust leaks when the car is running. i keep harping on the cam thing because it is a wild cam and the fact that my rear hatch seal is in place. my brother told me what carl said about them not necessariliy being that great even oem after awhile tend to let some exhaust in. however after looking at my brothers i see that this guy bought some universal seal kit and shoved a bunch of crap in the car. i had to replace the door seal with an oem replica because he had put some crappy soft seal with no backing to keep it on that metal ridge its supposed to adhere to. it appears the hatch seal is pretty much the same thing as the door seal. its a very soft and pliable materal with two to three times as much material as my brothers rear hatch seal. i assume all this extra crappy seal is what causes it to get caught when you close it and bend out of position. i'm hoping that will solve it or something cause that exhaust fume induces asthma type symptoms which are o so enjoyable.

i keep harping on the cam thing because it is a wild cam and the fact that my rear hatch seal is in place.

Even if the cam is causing fuel to go unburnt, there must be some reason that the smell of it is getting inside the cabin of your car. The doors (all 3), windows, floor, and other panels are supposed to seal well enough to keep what is outside out and what's inside in.

Have you removed the pannel below the hatch sill and checked the openings that the vent hoses come through , they need to be sealed. While there look along the bottom edge where the floor meets the back sheet metal and check for missing calk or any small openings . below the antena there is a drain hole and below the evap tank the large filler and two vent hoses also go through to the out side and need to be sealed. On the hatch there are two round rubber plugs , check them as well. It was mentioned eailer the gaskets for the tail lights they are something to look at for sure. On the engine is there a vent hose from the valve cover going to the air cleaner ? Or do you have a little filter attached to the elbow on the cover ? This can add to the problem. You dident mention it but is the smell stronger if you roll DOWN the windows while driving ? If this the fact , then for sure the leak is in the rear of the cabin. Take some 2'' masking tape and seal the hatch and drive the car, easy way to see if this is where the leak is.