IGNORED

strong gas scent

broken74

hey guys,

i've got this problem with my 260 where it tends to smell like gas in the cabin. i have some small holes in the passenger floorboard which i just recently for zfest this past weekend put duct tape over to see if that was the problem and its not. the car was tuned by zotz in orlando which is reputable for such work and the rear hatch seal seems to be in place and in tact. when i bought the car the previous owner told me it has a schneider stage 3 race cam and it does lope at idle, but i dont think that's causing the gas smell to get in my car. i'm pretty sure all my gromets in the firewall are in place like they should be. does anyone have any ideas as to how or what i can do to get rid of the gas smell. its the kind of thing where after you drive in the freeway for 20 minutes you've got an unpleasant coating on your lungs, not liking it. i'm not sure if this helps but it tends to be strongest when i'm at idle or when i'm getting on it and then letting off some. thanks for the help everyone,

brian -broken74-

hey guys,

i've got this problem with my 260 where it tends to smell like gas in the cabin. i have some small holes in the passenger floorboard which i just recently for zfest this past weekend put duct tape over to see if that was the problem and its not. the car was tuned by zotz in orlando which is reputable for such work and the rear hatch seal seems to be in place and in tact. when i bought the car the previous owner told me it has a schneider stage 3 race cam and it does lope at idle, but i dont think that's causing the gas smell to get in my car. i'm pretty sure all my gromets in the firewall are in place like they should be. does anyone have any ideas as to how or what i can do to get rid of the gas smell. its the kind of thing where after you drive in the freeway for 20 minutes you've got an unpleasant coating on your lungs, not liking it. i'm not sure if this helps but it tends to be strongest when i'm at idle or when i'm getting on it and then letting off some. thanks for the help everyone,

brian -broken74-

Hi Brian,

does it smells gas or exhaust ? If it is exhaust it may be your gasket that seals the manifold and the exhaust pipe that leaks and the smell comes from ventilation system or holes in the firewall. If it is really gas then park the car before it explode !!!

Exhaust smell in the cabin is often caused by a rear hatch that doesn't seal well. There is a negitive air pressure situation over the rear of the car that can pull exhaust gases from the tailpipe upward. Common fixes include adjusting the hatch/latch mechanism, and /or lengthening the tail pipe so that it extends further.

Gasoline smells are also common in the cabin and often caused by cracked fuel vent hoses (or the plastic nipple connecting the vent hose to the filler tube) behind the interior panels near the fuel tank filler tube.

thanks carl,

yeah from your suggestions it could be the hatch seal is kinda bent in several directions in stuff i was just hoping that because it was in there and in one piece that that wouldn't be it, but like i said its probably not in the perfect sealing conditions its a lil twisted as seals can become. seerex and i just replaced all the vent house and the fuel tank and the vent take not less than 2 monhts ago. so i dont think its the nipple coming off the filler hose, but its a bitch to see up in there so maybe i should check again and make sure its all kosher. i have a turbo style muffler and the previous owner added about six inches of pipe to the lil nubbin that's on the turbo muffler if you dont use the shiny chrome tip so i would think that would help exclude that. my brother recommended putting some kind of lube like wd40 on the hatch seal to make sure it makes a decent seal and drive it and see if i'm still getting the fumes. i checked today and the gromet that surround the shifter linkage in the firewall was out of place so i put it all the way back in, that couldn't really be causing it could it? and where the heater hoses come through the firewall on the carb side of the engine bay it looks like the previous owner tried to seal around it with some half arse caulking crap. half arse literally cause its only about half way around the hose in the firewall.

so i dont think its the nipple coming off the filler hose, but its a bitch to see up in there so maybe i should check again and make sure its all kosher.

It's not so much that it could come off the filler tube, but they get brittle and break.

i checked today and the gromet that surround the shifter linkage in the firewall was out of place so i put it all the way back in, that couldn't really be causing it could it?

do you mean the accelerator linkage? Shifter linkage is on the tunnel.

It could be a cause, if there are any exhaust leaks near the engine compartment.

The leather shift boot should contain an inner/sealer type boot no? My 78 280Z's inner boot was rotted out. You could actually look right down to the tranny, even see the road. I was so high on fumes after driving that car it's a wonder that I didn't pass out :knockedou

Vicky

yeah sorry i should be more clear, i meant to say exhaust fumes instead of gas.

In the first time I had my '72, I got this same exhaust fume problem and I noticed that there was a small leak coming from this gasket. So when I replace my clutch I had to take down the exhaust system and I replaced the gasket at the same time and it solved the problem. Cheap. Cost about 4,99$ at Cybersanford.com.

carl,

pretty sure jeff and i checked the nipple when we put the new vent hose onto the filler tube. he's really anal about not having to do things twice, no idea why :devious: . and yeah i meant the accelerator linkage sorry. moreso there isn't much of a gromet around the heater hoses like i said its some crappily applied sealant.

vicky,

yeah the rubber inner shift boot is there and in tact, infact that's all i'm using for a shift boot.

frank,

i dont really know which gasket you're talkinga bout. the one between the head and the header? the one between the header and the exhaust?

thanks everyone for the continued help

brian

carl,

pretty sure jeff and i checked the nipple when we put the new vent hose onto the filler tube. he's really anal about not having to do things twice, no idea why :devious: . and yeah i meant the accelerator linkage sorry. moreso there isn't much of a gromet around the heater hoses like i said its some crappily applied sealant.

vicky,

yeah the rubber inner shift boot is there and in tact, infact that's all i'm using for a shift boot.

frank,

i dont really know which gasket you're talkinga bout. the one between the head and the header? the one between the header and the exhaust?

thanks everyone for the continued help

brian

Brian, I'm talking about the one between the header and the pipe. Lokk at the picture.

post-7137-14150794975133_thumb.gif