IGNORED

Your thoughts wanted, preservation/restoration?

JLPurcell

Edit:

If the car is in need of the parts listed, why are they not on the car?

I think he should have the Black Pearl stripes painted on the car and be done with it!

Then you know of whom I'm speaking of.....correct? Beautiful Z but looks like just another black Z. I would never have known the BP unless I saw the paint code.

Chris if you think you have Z Fever now, wait unitl 26th is done. It just makes you want more and more and more Z's. You are way too funny :D

Vicky

What if the parts included a spare complete deck lid, a spare door, a spare interior from a '73, brand new Nissan door skins, a brand new Nissan front valance and turn signals, brand new side marker lights, a brand new set of metal emblems including chromed Z quarter emblems and a brand new with the Nissan part sticker clear hatch glass.

.........and an ultra-rare Nissan Crack Pipe.

Chris Wrote:

>I think your #1 description sounds more like the "high retail" and

>"good to excellent" condition. In that case, I would refer you to

>the Wall Street Journal and NADA guides. A 1970 model year with

>only 57,000 miles would be well past the $15,000 point. Just look

>at what happened to Burt's car.

Hi Chris (everyone):

With stone chips, door dings and 57K miles...? No. Nice as it is, that's a #3 Car..

Burts car has 14K original miles plus hours of detailing... it's a #2 car that with farther detail changes could be a #1 car.

Here's one with slightly more miles...of course it's sold.. @$7,500.00. the new owner and his wife are VERY happy with this Z.

See: http://ZHome.com/Adelle/CalZGreen.htm

>In my opinion, "here's the original engine sitting on the floor over here"

>has no value at all. Maybe tempting value, but parts in a box have no

>value to the sale of a car.

I think there is a difference between "parts in a box"... and having or not having the original matching number engine in a Classic Car. My point was also that having the engine (out of the car) would not "increase the value", but rather prevent the value from plummeting....

I would agree with Jerry... and that's the advice I give to people when they ask.. spare parts should be sold as "Parts For Sale".. and not thrown in with the car. At the time, as you point out, the parts thrown in with the car really have no significant value to the car buyer.. he is really interested in the Price of the Car.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

ZRush wrote:

>....snipped..

>.....Beautiful Z but looks like just another black Z. I would never have

>known the BP unless I saw the paint code.....

Hi Vicki (everyone):

Sometimes, people get so much money wrapped in a restoration, they fear doing anything that might reduced it's future resale value. In that case, retaining a set of Original OEM strips for that Black Pearl might not be too bad an idea.

The people on the Black Pearl Register got together and had the strip kits reproduced, in that case I'm with you. I would have bought one of the reproduction sets, and put them on the car. Of course some people just don't like pin stripping on the Z's.

In 1978 when the Black Pearls came out... many customers didn't want the strip kits installed.

In other cases, the detail guys at the dealerships simply screwed up the strips when trying to apply them.. so the car was sold without the strips to begin with.

It is the "Paint Code" (and the paint of course) that make it a Black Pearl.. the First Black Z Car Produced by Nissan... it was a test market for the 1979/80 280ZX model line up... to see if Americans would buy a Black Z. Of course they did, and of course we saw "Black Gold" ad.'s for the 280ZX's...

So if you see a 1978 280Z with the Black Pearl paint... it's not just another black Z.. it is the first Z offered in Black and it was fairly limited in the numbers produced. ( I think there were something close to 1000 painted Black Pearl).

FWIW,

Carl

Excellent info Carl. The car is fully restored (body taken down to metal and painted the original orange everywhere), both engines rebuilt and the car has had two previous owners, total of 87,000 miles. Will use the 2.8 while I drive but it sounds like I should put in the 2.4 to sell. Your thoughts.

Hi Ricksaia:

In that case, that's what I would do... it's easy enough to swap in the original engine. It would make the car far easier to resell and getting the full value of the car in stock condition, would be well worth the time and effort to swap in the original engine.

While you have the L28 out, you can refresh the engine compartment as well. Then you could resell the L28 as well.