IGNORED

Your thoughts wanted, preservation/restoration?

JLPurcell

In my recent research into the Nissan restoration program, while communicating with Les Cannaday (Classic Datsun), we came up with an idea for a spin off thread. Les is well known for his knowledge of the Z car and his attention to detail in the restoration of Datsuns. The purpose of the thread would be to collect enthusiast’s thoughts on "restoration and preservation". Being an original owner of a 1972 240Z I know that from the showroom floor not all Z cars were factory original. Mine had color matched mirrors and spook as well as American Racing Libre wheels. Now I know there are enthusiasts and there are purists, and their perspectives will be different on this subject. Les as I, would like to get enthusiasts’ as well as purists’ opinions on the acceptance of restoring: should you attempt to take the car back to its factory original state (according to Webster Dictionary -to restore: bringing or putting back into former position or condition into nearly or quite the original form) or should it be acceptable to consider restoration as a broader condition of the feeling of the time and place of the car utilizing correct period aftermarket parts.

I'm all for using period correct parts. I'm not a great fan of the restoration that tries replicate the car as it came from the factory.

The best restoration and the hardest to accomplish are when you cannot tell if the car has been restored!!

To try to replicate years of wear is incredibly difficult and time consuming but the results are amazing.

You have to start with a very good and original car to start and then replace parts as required with the best used parts you can find and if you have to use new parts you then have to age these.

Good fun.

Nick

Apples and Oranges.

Restoration is what it is. Just because a dealer added stuff that wasn't authorized by the factory, it doesn't mean the definition of "restored" has changed.

Example: If the Z car is to be considered "restored", it needs to come with stock steel wheels, and (the now outrageously priced) wheel covers.

The Spook was a "factory authorized" option. There were mirrors that were factory authorized options also. As for them being painted, body color, I don't think that was authorized.

Whichever route is taken is an individual choice, but they should not be confused.

Personally, I'd prefer a Z with a Spook, Mirrors, and Libre's, but that doesn't mean I don't drool over the restored cars that I encounter.

I was watching the Barrett Jackson thing a while back and they were raving about this perfectly restored muscle car that went for something over $200,000. The radiator support intentionally was over sprayed with black paint or undercoat and it looked crappy but that's how it might have come from the factory and they were trying to make it perfect. In my opinion that's taking it too far but I know some people really go for that kind of thing.

By the way, I saw this nicely restored '71 last night but even this guy doesn't have braided radiator hoses.

post-3294-14150794675655_thumb.jpg

By the way, I saw this nicely restored '71 last night but even this guy doesn't have braided radiator hoses.

That's one clean looking engine bay. I especially like the valve cover's clean, but not polished, look. That's how I'd like my 2400 OHC cover to look.

My car will go for period available modifications, such as the spook. Maybe use some more modern Nissan parts for engine mods to keep it in he family line. However, my car is too far gone to restore to factory original so that's never been my goal anyway. If it was in very good or near mint I might consider a real restoration, but as is I could certainly find a near perfect example for a lot less than it would cost (in $s and time) to bring my old beast back to anywhere near original ROFL. I do admire anyone is undertaking the task of preserving fine examples of how the Zs look when they left the factory (or how they looked when they hit the dealer's showroom floor).

That's one clean looking engine bay. I especially like the valve cover's clean, but not polished, look. That's how I'd like my 2400 OHC cover to look.

I agree that is a great look, but I believe that the valve cover, intake and possibly the carbs have been painted.JLP :rolleyes:

I agree that is a great look, but I believe that the valve cover, intake and possibly the carbs have been painted.JLP :rolleyes:

I didn't ask about the carbs and intake manifold but he said that the valve cover was actually powder-coated.

I didn't ask about the carbs and intake manifold but he said that the valve cover was actually powder-coated.

I'd agree that the valve cover is powder coated, still a nice look and something I'll consider (that must be preservation, rather than restoration), however I'd bet the carbs are still in their natural, but cleaned, state.

Jerry,

I asked this same question to a bunch of people a year or so ago. The concensus was; "Its your car, you do what you want to". Frankly, no matter what you do, somebody is going say something. That's just the way the car game is played. It wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't pick on each other. I was so confused by the whole concept that I bought another car!! Yea....

I am setting my car up to look stock but have some nice upgrades. I am purposefully working every upgrade (using later model factory Nissan parts) in such that all but the most well versed S30 fans would not really be sure the car didn't come that way, but in using the car would the ugraded fuctionality become apparent. All of the upgrades I do will be completely undoable, and I will keep the original parts to reverse the process later, just in case.

When it is through I will hopefully see/show everyone at the MSA show.

I don't think stock sucks, I just think evolving the car, but keeping its cosmetic charactorization, is more in tune with me. I respect both cars that are in the ZRush stable, for the same reason, some one cared enough about both of them to do the job, or have the job done, right.

Will