IGNORED

Chrome plastic tail light accessories

moyest

Obviously any kind of sandpaper will scratch the surface; that's the whole point. However, super fine grades of paper make very small scratches which may be enough to remove the bigger scratches that cause the "fogged" look.

Hmmm.... I started off with 600 wet, finishing up with 1500 wet then using a dremel polisher to 'clean up' my sidemarkers and taillights... Plastic became nice and shiny as new (removed the DOT markings in the process), but it looks trick (as in old school trick, street rod style).

Here's a fuzzy pic since the gallery is down...

Wayne

post-6279-14150794070994_thumb.jpg

Yeah, but this thread is about the CHROME! The CHROME!!! :ogre:

The plastic lense is easy to clean up, even just with warm water and dish liquid!!! The CHROME is the difficulty, especially if your starting point is not too flash (e.g pitted, scratched, peeling...).

Yeah, but this thread is about the CHROME! The CHROME!!! :ogre:

The plastic lense is easy to clean up, even just with warm water and dish liquid!!! The CHROME is the difficulty, especially if your starting point is not too flash (e.g pitted, scratched, peeling...).

I agree that the chrome is the biggest problem. A couple of hours ago I tried adding some polished metal tape on top of one of the two chrome strips with reasonable results. The entire "chrome" piece can actually be removed from the rest of the tail light housing but it's hard to do without breaking the two outer plastic pins that lock it in place. As another experiment I'm thinking of seeing how it will look with just some "chrome" spray paint. Once again this is my old beat up tail light so I don't care if I ruin it.

You can see the difference in the bottom of the two strips in this picture.

post-3294-14150794071631_thumb.jpg

hi all

what i did with mine was to rub them back with a very fine wet and dry paper

and then paint them with a coat of clear mixed with a small amount of black paint to put a light tint to mack them come up with a nice look and a shine on them

G'Day Mike,

Read this post just now.

I had the plastic chrome tail light surrounds rechromed and they turned out pretty good. I tried the so called chrome paint and the chrome tape but both were disasters.

Can't give you the cost as I had the rear bumper done at the same time. Cost was $510.oo plus G.S.T of $51.oo making the total $561.oo (triple coated show chrome). Cost also included frieght to Rockhampton. Paid them by direct deposit into their account.

On a separate occasion I had the interior door handle backing plates rechromed at a cost of $38.50

The work was done by;

Pine Rivers Electroplating Pty. Ltd.

3/23 Paisley Drive

Lawnton

Qld. 4501

Phone (07) 3881 2018

Fax (07) 3881 2016

A word of warning;

DON"T send anything by rail. The bumper I sent took two bloody weeks to get there.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Rick.

P.S.

Sales person was Steve Campbell.

Just another note because someone mentioned chrome spray paint - none of the "Chrome" spray paints I've ever used actually look like chrome.

That method is called "Polish Chrome" LOL (You know as in the people from Poland, not as in shine) :cheeky:

Vicky

But how'd you go getting around the curved ends? Tricky business those curved ends - when I tried "chrome-look" tape it got all bunched up as I tried to turn the corner :stupid:

I didn't bother because I was really just playing around to see what metal tape might look like. However, it could be done with some careful trimming of the metal tape. You'd need a shape something like what's in the crude image attached. Note that the only thing that would show would be a small split down the middle of each end.

post-3294-14150794072177_thumb.jpg