IGNORED

Chrome plastic tail light accessories

moyest

Well, that was the best description I could think of!

With prices of *NEW* 240Z tail lights so prohibitively expensive, I wonder whether anyone out there has tried restoring their existing tail lights?

I recently tore mine apart to find that you can easily soak the entire light in hot water, then pull the lense away from the backing. That allows you to get in there with cleaning products and really brighten up the lenses.

But, the chrome thingies that run across the lenses are the problem. Unless you're lucky enough to have the plastic chrome in good condition (I'm not), then you're left with a problem standing between you and a set of completely mint tail lights!

I phoned the one and ONLY plastic-chromer in my area, and he said it was difficult because they have to be "electro-formed" with layers of copper, etc, or alternatively vacuum-formed (in which case there's no U.V protection). Then he quoted $90 EACH (so $180 total) for the job! I thought I could probably have them fabricated out of stainless steel for that money!!!

If only I could get the cost down, I'd be tempted to chrome those thingies, as well as my interior dash vents!

Anyone got any *bright* ideas? ROFL

Wow, hot water

I'll remember that. I had previously read about carefully prying it apart.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with anything good. I have a new set of 'euro' spec taillights that i'm gonna swap in, then I wanna restore the original US spec tails.

I read in a local hot rod magazine that to get the "fogged" look from any type of plastic, like tail lights, take very fine sand paper with with some water and rub the lenses. I would think that this would scratch the lenses but apparently it doesn't. This is simular to wet sanding the body prior to painting I guess. Think this would leave scratches but the more you do this the smoother the finish gets, same for plastic (?). Who's gonna be the first to try it? As far as chome over plastic, there is a place in Florida that does that. We had the hood vents and various other plastic items in the engine bay done. Very expensive and no guarantee that the plastic will not crack or break from the process. Well worth the chance we took in getting it done. Our Z sits in the Florida sun baking at car shows and the chromed plastic never has shown any signs of UV damage at all.

FWIW

Vicky

Has anyone had any success changing the colour of the taillights? I have a pair of good US ones that are illegal to use over here, and I could do with making them look like euro ones.( ie change the indicator colour from red to orange)

I have found being able to take the rear lights apart is also useful to be able to swap in a better rear plastic bit that bolts to the car. This frequently gets chewed up or the screws drilled out especially if the llights haven't been removed for 20 years plus.

I read in a local hot rod magazine that to get the "fogged" look from any type of plastic, like tail lights, take very fine sand paper with with some water and rub the lenses. I would think that this would scratch the lenses but apparently it doesn't. This is similar to wet sanding the body prior to painting I guess. Think this would leave scratches but the more you do this the smoother the finish gets, same for plastic (?).

Obviously any kind of sandpaper will scratch the surface; that's the whole point. However, super fine grades of paper make very small scratches which may be enough to remove the bigger scratches that cause the "fogged" look. On the other hand, there are commercially available plastic polishes that I would try before sandpaper such as those available from Mothers or Blue Magic.

As far as the chrome goes, mine were so far gone that the pits went all the way through the chrome and into the white plastic beneath. I would think this would be difficult to repair. Since I bought a used replacement on eBay I might see what can be one to fix my old lens since I don't have to worry about damaging it. I may try the metal tape technique that I successfully used on the interior door panel.

We had the hood vents and various other plastic items in the engine bay done. Very expensive and no guarantee that the plastic will not crack or break from the process.

Zrush, do you by chance have any pictures of how the pieces look after being chromed. Also, how expensive was it to get them done? Thanks.

Zrush, do you by chance have any pictures of how the pieces look after being chromed. Also, how expensive was it to get them done? Thanks.

In our gallery on this site, (when the gallery is up) a few of the engine shots might show the fuseable link covers (I think that's what they are called) with the chrome over plastic. The hood vents are also chrome over plastic. If you can't see them very well, I can ask my husband to snap an up-close picture so you can see how well they turned out. Price was $375.00 (done in 2002)for the fuseable link covers and hood vents. Can't remember if Scott had anything else done, don't believe so. The company name is Custom Coatings, they are in Tallahassee 850-562-0538.

Vicky

Another tip while restoring lenses - paint the backing (where the sockets are)! If you're a stickler I guess you could find a grey to match stock, but I painted them white on my Z and my K and the lights on both look so much cleaner and brighter now. You wont have that left reverse light looking all dull and grey anymore!