IGNORED

81 5 speed "what it worth

7tooZ

I found my ZX transmission and f54 motor at a junkyard, $200. Paid a transmission guy $100 to look inside and put new seals in. He says those transmissions are pretty much bullet proof.

$800 seems high to me, they are plentiful around here. That's the wide B. If it's rebuilt and all cleaned up plus delivered and i needed it then $800 doesn't sound too bad. I have read that the shift rods can get out of alignment while delivering and they won't go in gear. ZedyOneKenobi had that happen to one from zcarsource.com

its a close ratio "B" transmission. Seems like European prices. It might pay to look a little further. Also depends on who is selling it. We have had some discussions about some vendors on this forum and the experiences some people have had with warranty.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1980 to 83 all "close ratio" and the prices have gone up about double in the last 5 years.

Rebuilt kit is $150-$200 if you include shipping and a good rebuilt is another $200.

In New England the price for a used tranny is $300-400. and since it's work to get the old one out and the next one in rebuilding it seems a no brainer. Of course if you can get a ZX parts car the tranny and diff are all there for you. Be sure it's not the 1979 GL (R180 version).

Update: I paid the 795.00 for it. It is s 83 close ratio and received the trans along with shift lever and mounts. Cleaned it up, drained the fluids, turned the flywheel, added new clutch, and new rear seal. Installed it along with a R200 LSD. Works great took me couple days to get the shift lever just right to work with my series I console.
Works great. A 12 year newer trans shift so much nicer.

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile