IGNORED

Ever seen an oil spray bar like this?

Im doing some basic checks on my L28 engine before firing it up.

Came across this oil spray bar that definitely isn’t stock. Anyone see one like this before?

It might be aftermarket, but I’m leaning more towards someone’s home brew creation.

Given the inherent weakness of the stock spray bar (from researching the forum), I’m consider keeping this one and using it. Can’t really think of a reason not to if it appears to do the job.

Nonetheless, has anyone seen one like this before in the aftermarket space? Or is it DIY? Any reason not to keep using it?

24a7f283c03a23751c4860a2c2bb9069.jpg

b48b555ca7f5e7520cb3ea1cc40a5aa8.jpg

0c81050689c99106001812c0aded5247.jpg

ee92a4cdfa924be3072b78492396875e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The exit ports are farther from the lobes than on the stock bar.  Can you flip it over so the bar is on the top of the mounting screws instead of the bottom?  Might increase the volume that lands on the lobes at low RPM.  Nissan must have put some thought and effort in to making those pieces that put the bar close to the lobes (link below with picture pulled) instead of the much simpler straight shot like you have.

If it was mine I'd remove the plugs and crank the engine at high starter speed to see how it squirts.

By the way, you should check your valve lash.  The lobe wear indicates it might be tight.  Maybe loose in the past. 

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/41895-camshaft-oil-spray-bar-redesign-and-rebuild/?page=4#comment-420037

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
spling

Yeah, I may just end up doing that.

That said, I can’t believe it. I think I found the old eBay listing from the guy who made them.

And a YouTube video of it working.

I mean, seems to be doing the job…

3 minutes ago, kcpope said:

That said, I can’t believe it. I think I found the old eBay listing from the guy who made them.

I mean, seems to be doing the job…

Yes, it is doing its job. You just dont see it yet. May be in few years before it is too late and you have to scrap the engine block with it. 🤑

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kcpope said:

I mean, seems to be doing the job…k

Still worth verifying on your engine.  Worn engines tend to have lower oil flow and pressure than new.  Your engine looks like it has some miles on it.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Still worth verifying on your engine.  Worn engines tend to have lower oil flow and pressure than new.  Your engine looks like it has some miles on it.  Good luck.

It most likely has ALL the miles on it, despite being sold as freshly rebuilt[emoji6]

Nissan might have designed the oil bar well to do the job but the construction wasn't very good at all,  I don't think I ever seen an oil bar that wasn't wobbly from broken solder joints.  As mentioned above, spin up the engine and see where the oil stream is hitting, if it is on the mark put the valve cover back on.

I would trust that aftermarket oil bar over a stock one.

• Like 2

I know I have a few spray bars in various age and condition. I can take a look this afternoon, when I am home from work. 

that’d be great, thanks[emoji1360]