IGNORED

Camshaft Oil Spray Bar Redesign and Rebuild

Richard,

Considering the distribution blocks are warped, the contact points with the cam towers didn't look that bad. Of course, it's difficult to see their true condition while mounted. It's been a busy day and I haven't had time to respond to your PM yet. Have a good night and I'll reply tomorrow.

Robert S.

i'm going to make a few more bars... Just sent out a couple pm's to people who have expressed interest.

I'm not liking the sound of the c-clamp thing. I straightened mine in a quality bench vice with wide parallel smooth jaws.

Tell you what... I've got some spare original blocks left over from bars i've reconstructed. If you crack yours trying to straighten it, i'd be happy to send you a replacement.

pm sent, i"m in for one!

Richard,

Considering the distribution blocks are warped, the contact points with the cam towers didn't look that bad. Of course, it's difficult to see their true condition while mounted.

Robert, The original bars I've messed with didn't have gaskets between the cam towers and the distribution blocks. I'm thinking that if you do manage to be able to reuse your bar, then putting in some gaskets in the three mounting locations would be a good idea, especially of the surface of the blocks at that location are distorted. Might help keep the oil from coming out of places you don't want.

Good luck, and let me know if you need a replacement block!

• 4 weeks later...
Robert, The original bars I've messed with didn't have gaskets between the cam towers and the distribution blocks. I'm thinking that if you do manage to be able to reuse your bar, then putting in some gaskets in the three mounting locations would be a good idea, especially of the surface of the blocks at that location are distorted. Might help keep the oil from coming out of places you don't want.

Good luck, and let me know if you need a replacement block!

Captain Obvious, I might be interested in a spray bar setup like the one you made. My 240Z just started making a racket the other day when I started it and I pulled the valve cover off to take a look. I didn't see anything obvious so I ran it at idle briefly and could see that the spray bar wasn't spraying on the back 3 cylinders hardly at all. So I pulled the spray bar off and it came unsoldered from the back mounting block. Some holes look to be plugged too....so I either get yours if you are still doing them, the billet ones, or find a used one somewhere that will likely break eventually, or fix mine. I eventually plan to put a turbo engine in mine, but that is at least a couple years down the road, so I need something to get my L24 E88 head to that point. Since I have no idea on what your pricing is like, perhaps you might PM me the price and if you are still making these? Thanks!

Greg

• 7 months later...

This is slightly off topic but even thou the major belief is that all the oil spray bars are identical through out the years, look at this one I pulled off a 1976 fairlady Z. It had an e88 head thou and I don't believe that was stock on the L20.

post-26759-14150823651609_thumb.jpg

post-26759-14150823652338_thumb.jpg

It seems to be a stamped block design rather than a cast, not sure on how well this works but there is no wiggle in any of the tubes.

This is slightly off topic but even thou the major belief is that all the oil spray bars are identical through out the years, look at this one I pulled off a 1976 fairlady Z. It had an e88 head thou and I don't believe that was stock on the L20.

It seems to be a stamped block design rather than a cast, not sure on how well this works but there is no wiggle in any of the tubes.

I thought it was well-known that Nissan improved the spray bar design over the years...

Captain,

could you tell me what size the spray holes are in the bar.

I measured some variability in the diameter of the holes and they range from 0.046 to 0.049 inches. I only have one bar at my disposal at this time, so it's a very small sample size. Also keep in mind that I have no idea who's been poking those holes in the past, and with what. They looked clean and un-messed with, but who knows what's been done to that bar in the past 40 years.

But all caveats aside... My guess is that they used a 1.2mm drill in production and the diameter would change some depending on exactly which bit they got from the tool crib that morning and as the drill bit dulled in use.

Out of curiosity, what size holes did you find in your cam? Is it a stock cam or aftermarket?