IGNORED

Engine Block Breather Tube Installation

texasz

4 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I'll look after work, but I think I only have the 240 tube. 

The 240z has the extra nipple, and the 280z does not. Sound correct. 

I think what the different is has to do with carbs vs EFI.  I removed the tube without the nipple and need to get the one with the nipple to fit securely as I am running carbs on this engine.  

11 minutes ago, duffymahoney said:

Failed designs. The compression was neat, but the two blocks I tested have a sharp edge that tears the rubber/ silicone.

414880146_10160234761473985_7334828019757540376_n.jpg

405435756_10160195676798985_4079236438345983026_n.jpg

The joys of R&D. Welcome to my world. Lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, texasz said:

I think what the different is has to do with carbs vs EFI.  I removed the tube without the nipple and need to get the one with the nipple to fit securely as I am running carbs on this engine.  

No need for the nipple unless you’re going to keep using the flow control valve, which is where that nipple goes to. This is a 280 right, so you don’t have that, your tank vent is via the charcoal canister. I really should go back and read the start of the thread….

If you really want one with a knipple, I can send you one of mine.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zKars said:

No need for the nipple unless you’re going to keep using the flow control valve, which is where that nipple goes to. This is a 280 right, so you don’t have that, your tank vent is via the charcoal canister. I really should go back and read the start of the thread….

If you really want one with a knipple, I can send you one of mine.  

No, this is a 1970 240Z with an L28 in it now.  I removed the tube without the nipple to install one with the nipple.  As shown in the video, the replacement tube with the nipple seems to be too small to snugly fit in the block.  I'm open to getting another one and seeing if it will fit better.  Just looking for a solution.  

On my Autocross car I use the outlet strictly for a breather. Took a 3/4" hose barb and turned the threads down for a tight fit. Gooped it up with metal-type JB Weld, and it hasn't moved in eight seasons. I call that a win.

20240308_120944.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, texasz said:

No, this is a 1970 240Z with an L28 in it now.  I removed the tube without the nipple to install one with the nipple.  As shown in the video, the replacement tube with the nipple seems to be too small to snugly fit in the block.  I'm open to getting another one and seeing if it will fit better.  Just looking for a solution.  

I have one on a 73 240z engine, I tried to get it off the motor yesterday. It was moving a little but did not come off. 

I will try some more today as I am off work early and the power is off to boot. It is not raining so a good time to work on it some more. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 3:26 PM, Terrapin Z said:

I have one on a 73 240z engine, I tried to get it off the motor yesterday. It was moving a little but did not come off. 

I will try some more today as I am off work early and the power is off to boot. It is not raining so a good time to work on it some more. 

Any luck?

Not yet, I didn't spend much time on it as we needed to fix some pot holes in the driveway. 

Power was out again today. I'll keep at it, It is pouring out right now. 

Apologies for taking so long. 

Posted (edited)

I've had the same experience as the rest of you. I've pulled them from engines, and then when I refit them, they slip in instead of pressing in. I assume the metal on the tube deforms on the original press fit.

I haven't tried to fix one yet, but off the top of my head, I'd try a Loctite sleeve retainer. I've got experience with Loctite 640 and I'd try that. Might be something better, but since I have that on the shelf, I'd start there and see what happens.

Right there on the package, it says "Restores fit to out-of-tolerance assemblies".  LOL

71YrzyN0DgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Captain Obvious
Added pic

11 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

@texasz A break in the rain, a ratchet strap and some persistence. 

IMG_7913.jpg

Fantastic!  Can you put calipers to the silver area that gets press fit into the block and measure it?