IGNORED

Parts Wanted: 280zx Turbo Distributor

ckurtz2

14 minutes ago, ckurtz2 said:

@duffymahoney Did you have to use high-impendence injectors for your setup? I am reading online that for fully sequential the injectors need to be high impendence. For batch fired, that isn't needed apparently. Any ideas? I am eventually going to price out the cost of going fully sequential injection and COP, or batch fire and wasted spark. I guess could I do the sequential injection and then wasted spark? Wouldn't see the point I guess.

I use modern injectors, so high impendence. 

Batch injection should be avoided. 

I haven't thought about the aftermarket stuff for a while but I know that on my 2003 Ford engine, the old distributor shaft remnant is used to indicate compression stroke of #1 to the PCM (computer) for sequential injection. That's all it does, it's not involved in precise timing at all.  Ford basically cut the top off of a distributor and replaced it with a half moon trigger and a camshaft position sensor.  The engine has a crank shaft trigger wheel for ignition timing.  And it uses wasted spark.  Wasted spark just sends spark to cylinders that are on either exhaust or compression strokes.  Doesn't matter, the cylinder that needs it will get it.  The other one won't even know.

DIYAutotune has a bunch of tech articles and parts.  Worth browsing.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/

https://www.diyautotune.com/?s=nissan

Ford stuff below.  To think about.  You can find a bunch on Hybridz and probably DIYAutotune about Ford's EDIS ignition.  That's a common wasted spark system that people swap over to.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 2

Another thing I like about not using the Turbo dizzy is the crank timing should be more accurate than timing in the dizzy because of high speed flutter and the inherent slop in the dizzy drive system

4 minutes ago, ckurtz2 said:

Does anyone have experience just using the old dizzy shaft as both the cam and crank angle sensor? I know you said it is less accurate, but at that point is it just apples and oranges? Will it really affect much?

Something like this seems really easy

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/ignition/grwcaskit

I would do the one six personally, that tiny godzilla is ugly as f.  

• Haha 2

Edit - my mistake.

The Godzilla guy needs to up his advertising game.  Those pictures are bad and not everybody will want Barney on their engine.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

The one-six and the Godzilla are similar but not identical.  The Godzilla has two wheels, a 24-1 and a single tooth.  The one-six apparently only has the 24-1 wheel.  And the one-six is a Hall effect, the GRW is VR.

You'd need to know what your engine management system can do and what you want it to do to make the right choice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Edit - my mistake.

The Godzilla guy needs to up his advertising game.  Those pictures are bad and not everybody will want Barney on their engine.

I told him to remove it, he said its marketing 101.  

10 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

I told him to remove it, he said its marketing 101.  

But there's good marketing and bad marketing. If I couldn't buy one without it, the first thing I'd do is fill it and paint it!!

• Agree 1