IGNORED

Parts Wanted: 280zx Turbo Distributor

ckurtz2

16 hours ago, ckurtz2 said:

Looking to convert my car to megasquirt.

I'm no expert yet.. on that.. but isn't there the option to make it without a distributor, and use 6 induction coils and some sensors for timing?

As those old distributors have theire problems after 40-50 years i would go for the "modern" approach!

Yeah, I was wondering if you could use a degree wheel instead of a turbo dizzy. I would expect it to cost $350 or so. $1000 seems high to me but if you've got the only one, then it's supply and demand...

@dutchzcarguy @Patcon . I am very new in teaching myself how DIY fuel injection works, let alone the ignition system. I think you have convinced me to go coil on plug, and sequential injection though. I think the modern approach definitely is the approach, I just don't understand how to do COP without the 280zxet dizzy. Would something like this work?https://protunerz.com/collections/sensors/products/onesix-industries-l-series-crank-sensor-hall-billet-new  From my understanding to do sequential injection you need something that can measure cam and crank position, and CAS is the way to do the crank? I think this little dingy is just a distributorless CAS. But then what measures the cam?

Trying to get educated. The more I learn the easier and more complex it gets at the same time.

@duffymahoney I pulled up the sight. How do I navigate it haha. I am not versed in Japanese lol.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ckurtz2 said:

@dutchzcarguy @Patcon . I am very new in teaching myself how DIY fuel injection works, let alone the ignition system. I think you have convinced me to go coil on plug, and sequential injection though. I think the modern approach definitely is the approach, I just don't understand how to do COP without the 280zxet dizzy. Would something like this work?https://protunerz.com/collections/sensors/products/onesix-industries-l-series-crank-sensor-hall-billet-new  From my understanding to do sequential injection you need something that can measure cam and crank position, and CAS is the way to do the crank? I think this little dingy is just a distributorless CAS. But then what measures the cam?

Trying to get educated. The more I learn the easier and more complex it gets at the same time.

@duffymahoney I pulled up the sight. How do I navigate it haha. I am not versed in Japanese lol.

Coil on plug means you don't need a turbo dizzy.  Turbo dizzy would be traditional spark plug. 

You can use a turbo dizzy and coil on plug, but there are easier/ cheaper ways to do that.  

Crank trigger will be better then a cam signal, having both means you can run fully sequential, because the ecu knows exactly what stroke you are on.  

You don't need fully sequential, I have it, and I don't know if it truly helps or not.  Coil on plug and wasted spark means two coils are firing at once, which I don't know if all ecus can handle that? 

The one six unit is nice, drops in and gives the ecu a lot of info.  The milkfab crank trigger would be cheaper/ easier in my mind.  

My coil bracket (M2 Racing-r35 coils, and protunerz- LS coils) are the two on the market I can think of.  Lots of guys fab up coil brackets, audi coils, plasma coils, coil packs etc...

I have a crank trigger and jeep cas, so fully sequential.  

@duffymahoney That helped me understand things so much better, led me off on a trail or more research, thank you. My biggest question is how does the 280zxet dizzy act as both a crank angle sensor and cam angle sensor. Because it does this, it may be simpler to just do this than to get a crank angle sensor on the harmonic balancer and then a cam angle sensor where the dizzy used to be. However, both options look very simple. I was wondering which Jeep cam angle sensor you used? I can't find a part number for it on other forums. Looks like a solid setup to be honest.

How smoothly does ur fully sequential motor run? I think the mega squirt platform can handle wasted spark but I would have to look further into it. I think fully sequential would be kind of fun to do, and definitely more modern than doing batch fire and wasted spark setup. I know lots of cars use the wasted spark and batch fire just fine though.

Wondering how many years this mega squirt system would last if done properly. I don't want to deal with any of the pain the OEM injection has put me through with constant maintenance and tuning/fixing.

• Like 1

I'm not sure fully sequential is beneficial either. It does place less load on ignition components though.

I would probably get a crank trigger and run wasted spark and move on. I would probably only visit fully sequential if I had a problem doing that. Some of the vendors might be able to give you more experienced feedback if you reach out to them. They have a vested interest in your success...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ckurtz2 said:

@duffymahoney That helped me understand things so much better, led me off on a trail or more research, thank you. My biggest question is how does the 280zxet dizzy act as both a crank angle sensor and cam angle sensor. Because it does this, it may be simpler to just do this than to get a crank angle sensor on the harmonic balancer and then a cam angle sensor where the dizzy used to be. However, both options look very simple. I was wondering which Jeep cam angle sensor you used? I can't find a part number for it on other forums. Looks like a solid setup to be honest.

How smoothly does ur fully sequential motor run? I think the mega squirt platform can handle wasted spark but I would have to look further into it. I think fully sequential would be kind of fun to do, and definitely more modern than doing batch fire and wasted spark setup. I know lots of cars use the wasted spark and batch fire just fine though.

Wondering how many years this mega squirt system would last if done properly. I don't want to deal with any of the pain the OEM injection has put me through with constant maintenance and tuning/fixing.

I was told by Rebello that there wasn't a HP benefit they saw from wasted spark to fully sequential, I honestly did it just because it wasn't hard. Cost me like 90$ for the jeep sensor mod, plus some wiring.  

A turbo dizzy can't do fully sequential.  But can provide the ecu with enough info for wasted spark.  I don't exactly know how the onesix unit does fully sequential, but I know it can.  So it must provide 2 signals?  Cam signal will have more "slop" in it, crank is superior for that.  You can also use a flywheel trigger, but that is more rare. 

If you google or search for the jeep cas sensor mod, you will find info, I think either milkfab or bossa makes it so you can buy it already done. 

https://milkfab-engineering.com/shop/ols/products/milkfab-lseries-camshaft-position-sensor

• Like 2

@duffymahoney Did you have to use high-impendence injectors for your setup? I am reading online that for fully sequential the injectors need to be high impendence. For batch fired, that isn't needed apparently. Any ideas? I am eventually going to price out the cost of going fully sequential injection and COP, or batch fire and wasted spark. I guess could I do the sequential injection and then wasted spark? Wouldn't see the point I guess.