IGNORED

Quaife LSD Installation in R180 - With Questions About Installation Also

inline6

They came back to me with requirement for 100 pieces minimum to continue.  So, they are now not an option.  Thanks for the info on the sizing and material.  My next step will be to try to shim stock and assembly to see if I can determine the thickness  I need.  Assuming that is successful, I will be trying to find a machine shop to make me one out of 1045 or something similar they have on hand.  

I have this manual, it doesn’t help you with your shim problem but has lots of good info on how to set up a diff. I just have to figure out how to post it as each page is a single large jpg file.DIFFERNTIAL SERVICE GUIDE- contents.jpgDIFFERNTIAL SERVICE GUIDE- cover.jpg

Edited by 240dkw

7 hours ago, 240dkw said:

I have this manual, it doesn’t help you with your shim problem but has lots of good info on how to set up a diff. I just have to figure out how to post it as each page is a single large jpg file.DIFFERNTIAL SERVICE GUIDE- contents.jpgDIFFERNTIAL SERVICE GUIDE- cover.jpg

Post it in Google Photos as an album, share the album, and post a link to the album. Then I can make it into a PDF.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 240dkw said:

I have this manual, it doesn’t help you with your shim problem but has lots of good info on how to set up a diff. I just have to figure out how to post it as each page is a single large jpg file.

DIFFERNTIAL SERVICE GUIDE- contents.jpgDIFFERNTIAL SERVICE GUIDE- cover.jpg

That manual looks very interesting.  Seems likely to have far more information about assembling a differential than the factory 240z workshop manual.  

7 hours ago, AK260 said:

Not wishing to take your thread off track - if you were ever in any doubt about the price v quality of your Quaife, have a read of this: https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/57834-obx-vs-quaife-with-pixors/

Thanks for the link - an interesting read!

15 minutes ago, 240dkw said:

Manual is posted in the resources section.

I don't see it in the resources section yet. 

After stacking .004" of shims to the existing pinion adjusting washer, and putting the side shims back in the original locations, here is where I am with measurements:

Backlash is between .018" and .019" (factory specification is .0039" to .0079").

Here are pics of the wipe pattern from before adding .004" in shims:

IMG_20231003_183539.jpg  IMG_20231003_183555.jpg

And after - note that I moved the .011" side shim from the right to the left at the same time.  

.004 shim added 1 (1).jpg  .004 shim added 1 (2).jpg

I dunno.  While the first pic (coast side) appears to have the contact in about the right place on the coast side, the second pic (drive side) appears to have the contact too far on the heel.

Before I take it apart again, I will experiment with moving the side shim again and check the contact pattern.  

It's cold in the garage today - making this even less fun than the not fun it is. 

• Like 2