IGNORED

Dave W 1971/240Z rebuild

grannyknot

Posted (edited)

The new headlights arrived so that let me finish of the rest of the front, also some new badges.  I did find the home for those 2 rubber grommets I mentioned back in post #239, there for the front wiring harness.

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I did find the home for those 2 rubber grommets I mentioned back in post #239, there for the front wiring harness.

I didn't even know that those holes were wiring passthroughs, let alone the fact that they're supposed to be fitted with grommets 😶.  My 240-Z learning experience continues.

Edited by Namerow
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

I didn't even know that those holes were wiring passthroughs, let alone the fact that they're supposed to be fitted with grommets 😶.  My 240-Z learning experience continues.

Yeah, this the first Z that I have seen with those grommets, I guess they've usually perished by the time the car gets to me.

29 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

Interesting find, no grommets on my car. All of the wiring on my car was run across the front support, secured by the flexible tabs.

04.jpg

Mine was the same as yours, here's a pic from my 7/70 when I tagged the front harness just before I removed it.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I took this picture back in 2020. It (barely) shows one of the grommets in place, but no wires going through it. I might have removed some wiring by then, but I don't actually remember any wires going through the grommets.

20200905_110703.jpg

20 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

Gotta luv the Safari Gold theme of this discussion!!! :cool:

I like the safari gold theme as well, but if you were including mine it is a repaint in a '71 corvette color, Ontario Orange. Mine is originally 918 orange and will be going back to that color. In the pic of mine you can see the original 918 orange in the engine bay. It is funny how much the front does look like Safari Gold. Here's a Ontario Orange comparison pic with my repaint and an OE corvette, it was close but not perfect.
20180901_085015cr.jpg

• Wow 1

I had an orange 1972 240 back in 1984. I really liked that colour and thought about having this one repainted orange. Granny and I both like Safari Gold, and it didn't seem to make sense to change the colour of a car that was being kept mostly original, so we stayed with Gold. It certainly is a unique '70's colour!

1615853098380-696f815f-c5c6-4f4b-be49-18c3a2d3b1e8.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, davewormald said:

I took this picture back in 2020. It (barely) shows one of the grommets in place, but no wires going through it. I might have removed some wiring by then, but I don't actually remember any wires going through the grommets.

I wonder if this was intended as an alternate routing for the front wiring harness in cases where the car was equipped with an A/C condenser?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Namerow said:

I wonder if this was intended as an alternate routing for the front wiring harness in cases where the car was equipped with an A/C condenser?

This one had the dealer air installed. Weirdly, the air pump had been removed and the AC compressor had been installed on the driver's side where it had been. One of the first things I did to the car back in 2020 was remove it. It had never worked while I owned the car, and I didn't think I'd use it much. So it's possible that the grommets are on this car as a result, though I still don't remember any wiring using that routing.

• Like 1