IGNORED

Dave W 1971/240Z rebuild

grannyknot

This is a very original car, hardly any mods and so far haven't noticed any missing pieces that get lost along the way.

Started with some of the fun stuff, the front grill is in perfect condition, just needs to be dismantled, cleaned, sanded and re-coated.

The steering wheel is coming out well, need to let the varnish cure a bit more, very humid here right now.

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

• Like 2

I tore down the fuel pump today and if I didn't know better I would swear the gaskets were new, fresh and clean, no aging. This car has led a sheltered life.

I'm assuming this burgundy Velour seat cover is an aftermarket item from back in the day, it's in good shape and I dare say it fits better than the new seat covers will.

I gave the rad and acid flush and a new coat of paint, clean and resprayed the air cleaner box.

What do you guys think about the brake booster? Should we just send it in to be rebuilt or clean it up and put it back into service?  I'm not hearing any rust rattling around inside and I believe the leak was coming from the back of the master cylinder.

If I test it to see if it passes the vacuum test is that good enough to assume it is still working properly?

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

That's a grungy booster!!! I think I would rebuild that...

I had the same velour seats in my first 240z. The were in the car when I bought it in about 86'. I believe they were original to the car

25 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I had the same velour seats in my first 240z. The were in the car when I bought it in about 86'. I believe they were original to the car

When I look at the underside pic of the seat, I see some pretty rough attachments at the various seat barbs suggesting those covers are not OE. The factory would never have released seats like that. Also the vinyl is exceptiionally smooth, doesn't show the typical grain of OE seat covers.

• Like 4

That's a grungy booster!!! I think I would rebuild that...
I had assumed that the seats were re-covered at some point before I bought the car, but I've never seen another Z with the same ones. If the cushions weren't shot, they'd be ok. They're more comfortable than vinyl!

I asked in another thread at one point whether anyone knows why people cut the long nose off the air filter cover? I've seen some pictures on BaT that looked the same, but I'm not sure why people do it.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

When I look at the underside pic of the seat, I see some pretty rough attachments at the various seat barbs suggesting those covers are not OE. The factory would never have released seats like that. Also the vinyl is exceptiionally smooth, doesn't show the typical grain of OE seat covers.

My Z has a 4/71 build date just like this one and my seats have the fabric strapping below the seat cushion.  This one appears to have the metal cushion supports like on later cars.  Replacement seats from a later model Z?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, psdenno said:

My Z has a 4/71 build date just like this one and my seats have the fabric strapping below the seat cushion.  This one appears to have the metal cushion supports like on later cars.  Replacement seats from a later model Z?

Agreed. I just helped a buddy recover his 280Z seats, they had the same spring design.

• Agree 1