IGNORED

Age & Wisdom Datsun Style

Mike

So, basically I was thinking about this today and thought it would be a great discussion topic.  The question came up as I was working on my Z again this year. 

Are there some things I would have done differently in my older age and, if I could advise my younger self, what would it be?  Related to the topic of this forum, of course.

image.jpeg

For me, here's a small list:

• Pick a stock color to paint my '71.  It would be more valuable later.
  • Don't buy NOS front fenders, just fix the fenders that came on the car (they weren't that bad).
  • Don't install poly bushings, just use new rubber bushings.
  • Don't drill holes in the floor.  Never do this.
  • Buy that electric fuel pump bracket you saw on eBay.  They are hard to find now.
  • Install stock front valance, the series 1 doesn't need to be modernized.

I'm sure I'll keep adding to the list.  :bunny:

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike said:

if I could advise my younger self, what would it be?

Buy 240 (!)  240z's instead of 1 ?  wow.. they where cheap.. i remember i bought a (very rusty) 240z from 1972 for 1250 guilders i guess about 400$  in 1991..  I stopped with the project within a year or so, took all the good parts off and brought the chassis to the scrapyard.. i'm still selling parts of that car! In 1998 i bought my second 240z.. i'm still driving it!

It needs new rubbers and a all new paintjob and yes i agree with your list.. orig rubber and paint color (901 silver) is on the list. Mine still has the stock front valence but very ugly rear fenders.. they need to go at some point. (orig. weld in parts are on the attic.) But i need to finish my 280zx engineroom first.....

If you are restoring a car, take a lot of pictures.   Even then, you still didn't take enough pictures.

If you are restoring a car, never throw anything away.  No matter how poor the condition.  You will need it for reference later.

Oh and when you are young, become thick skinned when your wife refers to your car as "that stupid Datsun".  It will enable you to follow Dutchzcarguy's suggestion "Buy more 240z's".

Edited by 87mj
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah!  When restoring first.. make pictures, when bussy.. make pictures.. when taking apart FIRST MAKE PICTURES!!!  when looking for new parts USE PICTURES , when installing make... yes.. pictures!  So the message is:  MAKE lots of pictures!   AND THEN THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP: TAKE THEM FROM DIFFERENT ANGLES.. (it's SO frustrating when you do have a pic with that one cable on it but you can;t see (in that angle) where it go's exactly.. this as a example..) Remember also a pic is 2 dimensional and it's not always clear how things get together..

For example this with one special angle..

I should mention one more thing.  I said if you are restoring car, don't throw anything away.  I have a low mile car that I am not restoring.  Dont throw anything away period.  I violated one of the @Mike  rules and installed poly bushings in the steering rack of my 60k car.  But since I tossed the parts in a box and didnt throw them away, I am able to recover and reinstall my rubber bushings.

• Like 1