IGNORED

what happens when safety comes last...

Dave WM

My lesson learned is NEVER get near an open spark plug hole. Never know what may come out to bite, oh and always have GOOD eye protection, don't rely on reg glasses.  I knew gas was going to come out, just did not anticipate the ferocity of the event as I was spinning the crank quite slowly. 

Edited by Dave WM
  • Haha 1

WOW!  Too bad you weren't looking at the hole when you were doing the "hear it ticking" part.  You could see it ticking.  0:23.

Edit - watched some more and see that you were.  Oh well.  Check your oil for gas.  It's probably at 0 viscosity.

Edited by Zed Head

My entire head, face and upper body were subjected to a huge flood of ATF that came out of at least two plug holes on an engine that had been literally FILLED with ATF as I attempted to crank it over. It was as if the engine had been filled to overflowing with ATF with 2-3 gallons worth to preserve it I suppose.

The engine did eventually start, and I discovered that of course the exhaust was also filled with ATF and the initial start up caused a huge soggy mess of mouse nest and ATF to be ejected out the exhaust and directly onto the side of my Ford F150 that was parked across the open garage door.  

That Z smokes for weeks afterwards as the ATF eventually burned off.

I have a picture somewhere

• Haha 4

The Jay Leno thing was exactly what came to mind, a little older than me (not much) and did something stupid as well. Life is really just a crap shoot, sooner or later you get bit, just have to hope it's not too terrible). I was kinda glad the camera was rolling so maybe someone else may see and learn to avoid my goof up.

• Like 2

You time-stamped the video to just the ending but the first minute is the best part.  It's almost like a planned "do not do this" comedy routine.  No offense, I had images of Benny Hill come to mind.  Gasoline sloshing out of the hole immediately, "listen for the tapping "squirt-squirt-squirt"",  then the end of a Sharpie as your "fuel removal " tool, splashing around in the raw gasoline.

I'm going to guess that you were befuddled from huffing raw gasoline fumes.

It was amazing though how much fuel came out in a simple 9 volt battery tap.  Those were some big squirts.  It seemed like too much.  Almost like the injector tip was covered in liquid fuel.  Probably a clue, after the fact.  That wasn't normal injector squirting.

Also, watching the video again, I think that intake manifold was probably full of fuel.  When you started barring the engine over the cylinder probably filled almost completely with fuel as the piston dropped and the intake valve was open.  It was on the intake stroke.  Then as soon as the piston started rising on the compression stroke it evacuated its contents. 

in the 1st part of the series, there was a lot of foreshadowing in the discussion. I seem to have a penchant for that, as in the pikes peak video talking about not wanting to test the drop off the side of the mountain, then needing to nearly back off the side of the mountain as the engine dies.

Edited by Dave WM