IGNORED

Timing Plate Missing?

DadAndLadZ

Howdy again, folks...

Now that the bulk of our carburetor issues have been resolved (thanks to so many of you here in these forums!), the boys and I are messing around with some other issues on the car. I finally put a timing light on the engine and though I am pretty sure I can see the mark on the pulley, it looks like the little plate with teeth on it that indicates degrees of advance is missing.

So it would help me if you would look at this short video and the link below to let me know if I a) do in fact need to buy a replacement, and b) have the right one.

Is this the one?

image.png

https://zcardepot.com/products/ignition-timing-indicator-tab-oem-240z-260z

Thanks in advance, we really appreciate all y'all!

Michael & the Boys
Project Z ICT

23 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

If you haven't already done so, download the FSM. It is available for free from this site. In the ET section, it shows you what you are looking for on page ET-11.

Thanks, I actually have an OG printed copy!

1 hour ago, DadAndLadZ said:

Howdy again, folks...

Now that the bulk of our carburetor issues have been resolved (thanks to so many of you here in these forums!), the boys and I are messing around with some other issues on the car. I finally put a timing light on the engine and though I am pretty sure I can see the mark on the pulley, it looks like the little plate with teeth on it that indicates degrees of advance is missing.

So it would help me if you would look at this short video and the link below to let me know if I a) do in fact need to buy a replacement, and b) have the right one.

Is this the one?

image.png

https://zcardepot.com/products/ignition-timing-indicator-tab-oem-240z-260z

Thanks in advance, we really appreciate all y'all!

Michael & the Boys
Project Z ICT

In the video it looks like the plate is there, but the part with the timing marks (0 to 10 degrees) is missing, possibly broken off.

I would turn the engine by hand to get the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke, then see where the mark on the crank pulley is. 

There has been several different types of pointer plates over the evolution of the L series engine. See if the FSM  has a diagram or picture that shows the timing marks and the plate.

• Thanks 1

So you're gonna love this. Today the boy and I took the old timing indicator plate off and it turns out it wasn't broken — it was just a) so grimy it was invisible, and b) modified by the previous owner in a way I didn't expect. This here is a photo I found in another thread showing what this should look like:

IMG_7701.JPG

On ours, the only visible bit of the plate was the part that bolts to the engine, none of this notched panel with the numbers on it could be seen at all. When we pulled it out, I discovered that due to super tight clearance behind the pulley, somebody had apparently taken a grinder to the thing and removed the raised teeth. The new one absolutely will not fit in that space without doing the same to it.

IMG_7691.JPG

Can someone explain why this part will not fit and what to do about it? This is crazy. lol

Thanks,
MC & the Boys

7 hours ago, DadAndLadZ said:

So you're gonna love this. Today the boy and I took the old timing indicator plate off and it turns out it wasn't broken — it was just a) so grimy it was invisible, and b) modified by the previous owner in a way I didn't expect. This here is a photo I found in another thread showing what this should look like:

IMG_7701.JPG

On ours, the only visible bit of the plate was the part that bolts to the engine, none of this notched panel with the numbers on it could be seen at all. When we pulled it out, I discovered that due to super tight clearance behind the pulley, somebody had apparently taken a grinder to the thing and removed the raised teeth. The new one absolutely will not fit in that space without doing the same to it.

IMG_7691.JPG

Can someone explain why this part will not fit and what to do about it? This is crazy. lol

Thanks,
MC & the Boys

Need a picture showing your engine and pulley.

It is possible the wrong pulley was used, or, the outer part of the pulley has moved on the rubber, and it actually contacted the timing indicator.

You may need to replace the pulley.

*edit*

I went back and watched the video again. The pulley appears to be too close to the indicator.

Check the alignment of all the pulleys with a straight edge. I believe you will find the damper pulley rubber is failing, and the outer ring has migrated rearward.

Edited by Racer X
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

Check the alignment of all the pulleys with a straight edge. I believe you will find the damper pulley rubber is failing, and the outer ring has migrated rearward.

Holy cats, will check that out ASAP. Thanks.