IGNORED

77 280z Restoration

Av8ferg

So the next tasks for me on this rolling restoration other than this drip edge removal will be the following: 

1.  Convert to a throttle cable and ditch the linkage.  Mine works fine but it is sticky and has a little slop.  I’ve come to the conclusion this is probably why my throttle hangs up around 1100 RPM after steady driving and coming to a stop.  If I pump the throttle when I get stopped it will go back to 800 rpm.  I’m tired of revving the engine like a teenager at the stop light.   I try adding another spring but that made the accelerator heavy. 

2, Convert end rear half shafts to CV.  Mine work fine, have zero play in the joints but they’re a bit noisy, I’ve lubricated all the fittings and it seems to be squeaking a bit.  I’m hoping CV will be lighter and a bit smoother   There is a company called milk fab engineering that has adaptors that allow you to fit the 280zx turbo CVs to the 280z wheel hubs,  https://milkfab-engineering.com/shop/ols/products/240z260z280z-cvaxlekit

I spoke to a rep on the phone and he was super friendly and said they have had their company Z about 10 years which started as a prototype and have sold many since.  They guarantee it’s plug and play, no welding or fitment issues.   I was concerned because the adaptors are pretty thick and that it might be very tight and cause binding,  He said it’s tight but no binding.  They did have some QC issues with the GSP Branded CVs a few years back but since they inspect every set that comes in . Has anyone used these adaptors.

79589C34-98D1-4C29-96CC-B3D8E9414E88.jpeg

29EBE091-099C-4CEF-91F4-A979CA2781EB.jpeg

E3B24332-2DF8-41A0-BEF4-F9D7DC34D064.webp

22 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Has anyone used these adaptors.

Nope.. but i ask myself why are your halfshafts noisy.. i never heard of that..  unless they have a lot of play?

If I pump the throttle when I get stopped it will go back to 800 rpm.

Isn't there a simple solution, just replace some "bearings" in the linkage? i wouldn't go for a cable.. it will not last as long as a linkage.. that says something about the quality..

Just check the linkage overall "bearings" and some lube should make it a lot better.

• Like 1

I’m tired of revving the engine like a teenager

Hahaha 🤣 I sometimes also have to do that as my 240z is at his last feet before a complete restoration. (But not 1100tpm, more 900-1000, and my idleling is at the factory 650 not 800! It even works at 500 tpm it does not stall.. but for the oilpressure i don't let it go under 600.

I haven't used those adaptors. I have a set already but will try these if those dont work out. CV axles should be a definite upgrade and more durable. They also make it easier to switch to a LSD diff.

Likewise the throttle cable should be a nice upgrade. It should last a 100k miles. More than most people will put on their classic z in a lifetime

• Agree 1

On 4/14/2023 at 5:14 AM, Av8ferg said:

So the next tasks for me on this rolling restoration other than this drip edge removal will be the following: 

1.  Convert to a throttle cable and ditch the linkage.  Mine works fine but it is sticky and has a little slop.  I’ve come to the conclusion this is probably why my throttle hangs up around 1100 RPM after steady driving and coming to a stop.  If I pump the throttle when I get stopped it will go back to 800 rpm.  I’m tired of revving the engine like a teenager at the stop light.   I try adding another spring but that made the accelerator heavy. 

Is your engine fuel injected?

If so, the throttle sticking could be carbon buildup at the throttle butterfly. Open it up, and have a look. If there is any carbon wipe it off with a rag and carb cleaner. Use an old toothbrush to get at the hard to reach spots.

• Like 1