IGNORED

Body harness tabs

Broman

I couldn't find any good write-up in other threads, so here goes.

Regarding the dozen of thin, bendable harness tabs welded all over the body...a close inspection of mine confirms that they were covered in their rubber casings AFTER the color coat.  I read some folks who said the rubber coatings were painted body color, but that clearly was not the case with mine (5/71 240Z).

Anyway, since many of mine are broken off or cracked, I am looking for an authentic way to replace the black casings over these tabs.  The commonly proposed solution is to use heat shrink, especially the kind that is adhesive-lined.  But my issue is that regular heat-shrink comes in a sleeve and leaves an open end, whereas the originals are more of a cap than a sleeve.

I have found a few potential options online from electrical firms that make "heat shrink caps" (heat-shrink with one end pre-sealed).  I will test those and report back.  But has anyone else solved this issue already?

5 hours ago, Broman said:

Unfortunately with the ones from https://www.240zrubberparts.com/ you can get two single covers from each advertised item, but they are out of stock.

If you're interested in going this way, the website states "If any item is out of stock and you would like to order, then  please contact us".  I'm guessing that they just don't keep a lot of stock on hand of any piece, and will probably make them on demand.  I bought a few of the single and double wiring tab covers a few years ago, and they seem pretty nice.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Take a look at Plasti Dip. I've not tried it but it seems like a good way to coat the tabs.

I’ve used Plasti Dip and it works great!  It can be brushed on as well as dipped and looks 

as good as original rubberized tabs.  A couple of coats or whatever looks best to you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foosman said:

If you're interested in going this way, the website states "If any item is out of stock and you would like to order, then  please contact us".  I'm guessing that they just don't keep a lot of stock on hand of any piece, and will probably make them on demand.  I bought a few of the single and double wiring tab covers a few years ago, and they seem pretty nice.

Correct, they will make them to order.