IGNORED

Having a bit of fun comparing muffler sounds on Zstory Race/Sport system with centre resonator

AK260

@AK260

That was fantastic.   Lying here in bed watching your videos and giggling like a schoolgirl because they all sounded amazing.  It's been sooo long since I've heard my motor run like that.  Best part is you tested the muffler that will be part of my build.  Thanks for putting this together.

• Like 1

I have MSA headers straight piped into the Z Story JDM muffler.  No resonator, just straight in.  I wouldn't have it any other way.   I love to take it through the tunnels at 5k plus RPM as it screams like an F1 car.  prob asking for a ticket but I can't really help it. I reckon that's what I'll tell the police after I'm pulled over.
Zj.thumb.jpg.820c9ecf360a761105e739ca16da1723.jpg

Oh I hear you! The resonator does kill the sound a fair bit and it was great without it on my L26. But the more aggressive cam and cam timing on the L28 with it’s bigger displacement on 10.5:1 just introduced too much drone for my Lilly soft ears!

[mention=32052]AK260[/mention]
 That was fantastic.   Lying here in bed watching your videos and giggling like a schoolgirl because they all sounded amazing.  It's been sooo long since I've heard my motor run like that.  Best part is you tested the muffler that will be part of my build.  Thanks for putting this together.

Glad the musings of a madman had some value! Hope you get the car is back to roaring away again soon!
  • Like 2

Terrific! Thrush muffler is very American sounding, JDM muffler although glorious race sound would get me in trouble with my neighbors and I think might get a bit tedious on  long drives.

The classic Z Story muffler is the sweet spot for me, thanks for doing this, excellent comparison by driving the same route, same revs, window open/closed.

• Like 1

Sweet thread!!!

Reptoid Overlords how’s the fitment on your car? It looks like you have a 79 or 80ZX.

On my 79, the muffler sits there but then the pipe crosses over and exits on the opposite side where there is a cutout in the valance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sweet thread!!!

Reptoid Overlords how’s the fitment on your car? It looks like you have a 79 or 80ZX.

On my 79, the muffler sits there but then the pipe crosses over and exits on the opposite side where there is a cutout in the valance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's an '80ZX. The original exhaust exited on the passenger side(north America/continental Europe). I bought headers and exhaust pipe from MSA for the '81-'83 cars that exit on the driver's side. I deleted the plate(valance) that hangs down under the rear bumper, and above where the exhaust pipe exits.

The fitment is perfectly snug using the existing factory hangars. Sean sends you some mounting hardware with the muffler. And I'm sure whatever else you purchase that requires it.

11 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

@AK260 these are great, feel free to send me the exhaust parts you did not use and ill test them to see if they sound different in the states. :^)

Can we get some more photos of the twin vertical pipe setup? Want to see how it fits the exit on the rear valance. 

I'm sure the longitudinal differences will make it sound completely different :P

Will get you some photos tomorrow - the heavens have opened up here and Noah will be sailing past at any moment!!  😞

7 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Terrific! Thrush muffler is very American sounding, JDM muffler although glorious race sound would get me in trouble with my neighbors and I think might get a bit tedious on  long drives.

The classic Z Story muffler is the sweet spot for me, thanks for doing this, excellent comparison by driving the same route, same revs, window open/closed.

Thank you sir. Appreciate the kind words. The thing I like about it is that no one box is perfect for everyone - they each have their own characters and suit different needs. I really like that muscle car sound. On the old L26 with the MSA header and no resonator 2.5" pipe, it was just the PERFECT sound that had me at hello. Once the car fired up, there was NO WAY I wasn't going to buy it! I may have ended up with a better car if I had taken my time more, but the sound was just so grin inducing, I regressed to being a 4 year old with a car that went broooom!

3 hours ago, Geoff's 240z said:

@AK260 Thank you for this post, great stuff. Sean should have these on his site for potential customers.

Quick question, were any resonators used or straight from header to muffler for your tests?

Sean is more than welcomed to - I'm not precious about them. Although he may want something more professionally done.

A good question which I didn't address in the video - the car has the Race / Sport header, it's pipes and the Z story centre resonator that comes with the full package (which if memory serves is 18" long?).

Edited by AK260
  • Like 1

Nice comparison, thanks for taking the time to create the videos, and share it with us.

I used a LoBak auger muffler on a setup I made for my race Z. I ran a production based class that required the use of the stock intake and exhaust manifolds, but allowed any exhaust system so long as it exited the car behind the steering wheel hub, and met the sound regs.

Since the heat from the exhaust was burning my foot where the pipe ran down the transmission tunnel, I built a headpipe that exited behind the left front tire, and hung the muffler from the rocker panel with a turndown at the outlet. The muffler is a LoBak auger muffler, made for circle track racing. I used 1.75" pipes from the manifold to just before the fender (wing) and fabricated a 2 into 1 collector with a 3" mandrel bend, connected directly to the LoBak. Had a local flamespray shop coat it with aluminium (this was before the ceramic coating thing happened) inside and out.

Looks awesome, never blew over 80db at the track, and my feet don't get burned anymore.

My cylinder head guy worked over the SU carbs, intake and exhaust manifolds, put it all on his flowbench with the head and exhaust, and made significant gains in airflow into, and out of the head.

All to gain an advantage within the rules.

A photo of the part that is outside the car.

32405453813_d642e71523_4k.jpg

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 2

• AK260 changed the title to Having a bit of fun comparing muffler sounds on Zstory Race/Sport system with centre resonator