IGNORED

280z Bosch Relay Correlation? Stock Relay vs Porsche Relay

kyle146

Well judging by this site:

https://www.ratwell.com/technical/DoubleRelay.html

that @SteveJ posted on another thread, it breaks down that relay and its components and even lists out what is inside that version. Stating that it could be made by hand if someone wanted too. It even talks about L- Jetronic and each pinout

Edited by kyle146
  • Agree 1

Great news!!!! Bosch relay #0332514120 does in fact WORK! Received my unit today and tested it and confirms it does work. Operates exactly as the old one with fuel pump turning on in start and shuts off if AFM does not trigger fuel power. Connectors fit perfectly without modifications needed! Relay is slightly bigger than my old one but it will become a cheap insurance piece now! Writeup coming soon

Edited by kyle146

Did you think I would steer you wrong? I think Tony D was posting about the VW fuel injection relay over at Zcar.com back around the turn of the century. I'm a vast repository of useless trivia, but sometimes some useful information sticks, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Did you think I would steer you wrong? I think Tony D was posting about the VW fuel injection relay over at Zcar.com back around the turn of the century. I'm a vast repository of useless trivia, but sometimes some useful information sticks, too.

Oh no I trusted you! I just wanted to inform the previous members of the attempt. 

• Haha 2

Cool, and thanks for the confirmation.

One question though. When you said the fuel pump comes off in start... What you really meant was that the fuel pump comes ON in start, right?

15 hours ago, kyle146 said:

Operates exactly as the old one with fuel pump coming off in start and shuts off if AFR does not trigger fuel power.

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Cool, and thanks for the confirmation.

One question though. When you said the fuel pump comes off in start... What you really meant was that the fuel pump comes ON in start, right?

Yes sorry I did mean on in start. AFR takes over when key returns to on. 

Edited by kyle146
Reddit FPBP

FYI, I’m run the Bosch relay too, seems to work fine . My stock relay was broken and someone on the forum recommend this VW one. Seems like a great less expensive alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me just restate my sentence now. "Great news!!!! Bosch relay #0332514120 does in fact WORK! Received my unit today and tested it and confirms it does work. Operates exactly as the old one with fuel pump turning ON in start and shuts off if AFM does not trigger fuel power. Connectors fit perfectly without modifications needed! Relay is slightly bigger than my old one but it will become a cheap insurance piece now!"

Edited by kyle146
"""cant forget the quotes"""
  • Like 3

A little information I have gathered about these Bosch relays over the last ten years. I see 120 (11 pole) and 121 (13 pole) mentioned, but have not seen the 127 (also a 13 pole) mentioned yet. I don't know what they changed when they went from the 121 to 127, but it wil not work in a 280Z without altering things.

The 120 was used from the end of the seventies through to 81/82 by many manufacturers such as BMW M30 2.8L and 3.2L engines with the L-Jetronic efi (5, 6 and 7 series). It was also used in cars like the Porsche 912/914, Opel, Vauxhaul, Renault R18i 1.6L, Alfa Romeo GTV6 etc, some Fiats, Triumph TR7, Rover 3000i, and a couple of Volvo models, VW and Mercedes. I'm sure I missed some manufactures in there somewhere. Basically a lot of European cars used this system with this relay.

Bosch made system "improvements" and changed to the 121 somewhere in 1981/82 depending on car manufacturer and somewhere in 1984 the changed to the 127.

The 120 will work on all our 280Z models without any issues. People have been using them for years, including myself for the last 9 years. There are a lot of Bosch parts that will fit the 280Z efi and work perfectly. I use them in my 280Z because they are easier for me to find here in Europe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2