IGNORED

280z Bosch Relay Correlation? Stock Relay vs Porsche Relay

kyle146

I wanted to see If anyone knew if their was any correlation between these two relays. One is the stock 280z fuel relay as we know it (under drivers side dash) and the other is a Bosch Fuel injecton relay for Porsche-VW. Bosch one is significantly cheaper than stock AND appears to have the same pinout. What are your thoughts?

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

Edited by kyle146
bad title

• kyle146 changed the title to 280z Relay Correlation????

• kyle146 changed the title to 280z Bosch Relay Correlation? Stock Relay vs Porsche Relay

Here you go, with one old post.  It was SteveJ, and maybe Captain Obvious before him.  Not sure if EuroDat is in there or not.

(The Share thing is not working right, try this one.)  Just go to post #42, Share is messed up.

Edited by Zed Head

7 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Here you go, with one old post.  It was SteveJ, and maybe Captain Obvious before him.  Not sure if EuroDat is in thee or not.

What a good read! I only stumbled upon this correlation based on the pinouts. I really want to purchase a relay form amazon now and test out those findings. Trying to find stock EFI relays has gotten expensive.

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Just came across this one.  Who knows what the innards look like.  The problems don't show on the outside.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174753879999?hash=item28b02497bf:g:JK8AAOSwzOhgjcRl

I just ordered a Bosch unit to test it out. luckily nothing is currently wrong with my relay right now but if the Bosch one works, its just cheap insurance at that point!

According to the documentation, there are two diodes and resistor inside the original fuel injection relay.

For me, the question is "Does that Bosch relay have those three two additional internal components?"

Edited by Captain Obvious
There are two diodes, not just one

55 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

According to the documentation, there's a diode and resistor inside the original fuel injection relay.

For me, the question is "Does that Bosch relay have those two additional internal components?"

What are the ramifications of not having those components?

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

The chances are that if it is in the Nissan relay, you'll find it in the Bosch relay since the Nissan system is a licensed copy of the Bosch. 

Im going to take that chance, I will  follow up with my results. Based on the fact that Nissan used a licensed version of the Bosch system. Will follow up with results this week when new Bosch relay comes in the mail.

• Like 1

I have been using the Bosch version since 2012 without any issues what so ever. I can't open it without damaging it, so can not say anything about the internals. I did remove the cover from one of my working spare JECS relays.

Here are some of my photos.

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

• Like 1

There's a 120 and and a 121.  The 121 says "Jetronic", the 120 doesn't.  Wonder if diodes/resistors is the difference.  I know that their typical 5 pin relays come in different flavors.  Same basic functions, just some have a few extra parts inside.  Usually they show it on the cover, but these don't.

Edit - the 121 has 13 pins vs 11 for 120.  Not sure how that affects things.  Haven't studied the pin diagram.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0332514121-BOS0332514121/dp/B006NYJ328

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Automotive-0332514120-Relay/dp/B004Z0W1C6

Edited by Zed Head