IGNORED

Rear Drum Brakes Backing Plate

ernesto

I went with Mustang GT500 rear brakes on my race car.  Silvermine sells the mounting brackets and the rotors are vented.  The calipers and rotors are from a S197 Mustang GT500.  From everything I've read, the Maxima and 240SX rear disc conversions don't have enough stopping power to match the front vented Toyota 4x4 caliper/Z31 rotor setup.  Unfortunately, I will never get the chance to try my new brakes before I sell the race car, so I can't give a review.  I will try to upload some pics of my setup later.

Captain Obvious, thank you for the list! I will keep it in the event I go in that direction. One of the many decisions forthcoming.

I'm going to start looking at conversions soon.

Jeff G, Good intel on the various availability of brake set ups. 

Glad to help.

Oh, and BTW... There's a guy here on the forum @S30Driver currently parting out a 78. I don't know what his plans are for the car, but he would have the backing plates and parking brake arms you need.

And full disclosure... He'll give me a 10% finders fee for parts he sells you.   LOL  He doesn't know if yet, but he will.  :ph34r:

• Haha 2

I rebuilt all suspension a while back, put the rears back together, thinking I "may" upgrade to discs some day. Well, now I'm undoing everything to upgrade to discs. My advice: just do it now. Rear brakes are not that effective anyway, but might as well upgrade to something easier to maintain than looking for new wheel cylinders down the road. Just my .02.

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Glad to help.

Oh, and BTW... There's a guy here on the forum @S30Driver currently parting out a 78. I don't know what his plans are for the car, but he would have the backing plates and parking brake arms you need.

And full disclosure... He'll give me a 10% finders fee for parts he sells you.   LOL  He doesn't know if yet, but he will.  :ph34r:

My plans are to get it out of the driveway as soon as possible!   Just mainly the glass left to come out.

Do you want your commision sent to your usual off shore account or added to your Zcon beverage budget?   LOL

78 Parts.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, S30Driver said:

My plans are to get it out of the driveway as soon as possible!   Just mainly the glass left to come out.

Do you want your commision sent to your usual off shore account or added to your Zcon beverage budget?   LOL

78 Parts.jpg

You are the man, man. 3 car garage with a Z in front. I recently read that's a sickness like a @Diseazd. LOL

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I am just past this point in the disassembly of my rear suspension. Kind of in the same boat as the OP, don't want to just start hammering away on parts and end up breaking something.

I cannot get the inner bearings to budge. Tried the drift pin method in the restoration book, no luck whatsover. Any suggestions? First time Datsun tearer-aparter here. TIA.

35 minutes ago, MrScott said:

I am just past this point in the disassembly of my rear suspension. Kind of in the same boat as the OP, don't want to just start hammering away on parts and end up breaking something.

I cannot get the inner bearings to budge. Tried the drift pin method in the restoration book, no luck whatsover. Any suggestions? First time Datsun tearer-aparter here. TIA.

Can you recap?  I assume you cut the stakes off the nuts, removed the nuts and then used a slide hammer to get the stub axle out?  With the stub axle out, the bearings should come out fairly easily with a brass drift and hammer.  Is this what you have done so far?  When I did mine, the inner and outer bearings stayed in the knuckles and the stub axles came out with no bearings.  I've done others where the outer bearings will stay on the stub axle when it's removed.

3 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Can you recap?  I assume you cut the stakes off the nuts, removed the nuts and then used a slide hammer to get the stub axle out?  With the stub axle out, the bearings should come out fairly easily with a brass drift and hammer.  Is this what you have done so far?  When I did mine, the inner and outer bearings stayed in the knuckles and the stub axles came out with no bearings.  I've done others where the outer bearings will stay on the stub axle when it's removed.

Sorry, I should have provided more detail. The car is totally disassembled at this point. I am now taking all of the suspension components apart to rebuild/refresh. The stub axle came right out with a couple of good whacks with a hammer (with a piece of steel on top taking the direct blows of course). Outer bearings went out with the stub axle, but the inner bearings just don't want to move.