IGNORED

Clutch pedal goes to the floor with no resistance, canmot engage 1st gear

jalexquijano

• 1 year later...

Pull the rubber boots back and take a peek under boots on the clutch master and slave cylinder. If there is brake fluid in the boot, you've found the leaky cylinder. Over the years I've found that if I replaced the leaking cylinder and not the other, within a year I was replacing the other cylinder because of a leak. I recommend replacing both cylinders at the same time.

• Agree 1

If you need to drive it somewhere... Shut off the engine, put it in 1st gear and start the engine with it in gear. Shifting is fairly easy, let off the gas a little and it should be easy to pull out of gear and as the RPM's drop you should be able to slide it into the next gear without grinding. When you need to stop put it in neutral and stop. Shut of the engine and repeat above to go again.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

If you need to drive it somewhere... Shut off the engine, put it in 1st gear and start the engine with it in gear. Shifting is fairly easy, let off the gas a little and it should be easy to pull out of gear and as the RPM's drop you should be able to slide it into the next gear without grinding. When you need to stop put it in neutral and stop. Shut of the engine and repeat above to go again.

Great advice. I've done it more than once. If however you decide to try this method to back up, leave a lot of space behind you.

• Agree 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:36 AM, w3wilkes said:

Not practical for a 10 mile drive in mixed freeway and urban/suburban streets, but suitable in an emergency.  Had a flatbed tow my car to Z Car Garage.  Bleeding didn't help so we replaced the clutch master/slave cylinders, the line, the clevis pin.  ZCG did the work on the spot, while I waited.  Recommended!

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 9:49 PM, Mark Maras said:

Shut off the engine, put it in 1st gear and start the engine with it in gear.

It works.. but you have a chance on a bended axle in your starter.. (as it has to "start" the whole car now..)  I would use it when on a traintrack crossing.. and nothing worked.. to get off it hahaha...

• Like 1