IGNORED

Ebay shipping time machine

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Is that a wrestler or something, The Murder Hornet?

The larger of the two.

AP_20128725164410-scaled.jpg

The black and white one is a bald faced hornet. I've been encountering them ever since I was a boy in the mid 60's hiking around Whidbey Island. Dwarfed by the Murder Hornet.

These things hitchhiked from the Orient, I believe, to the Pacific Northwet, and are threatening indigenous bees and wasps, as well as threatening public health, as their sting can pack a punch.

These things are huge.

murder_hornets_2_.jpg

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

I've never been stung by a hornet but have always heard it's like small caliber gunshot.

When I was a kid one of my friends had one form in a shrub outside his bedroom window. His Dad got drunk and decided to plug the hole with a wine cork. He had to be taken to the ER from so many bites. They follow the attack pheromone.

18 minutes ago, Racer X said:

These things hitchhiked from the Orient, I believe, to the Pacific Northwet, and are threatening indigenous bees and wasps, as well as threatening public health, as their sting can pack a punch.

There's a nature show out there somewhere, I saw it years ago, about a guy in Japan who was a Murder Hornet tracker.  He would catch one and tie a thread around it with a small piece of white paper attached.  Then he'd chase after it to find the nest.  It was a pretty good show I'm surprised that none of the networks have dug it out yet.

Apparently the big concern is that they can wipe out a honey bee hive in about 20 minutes.  They just crawl in and start biting the heads off of them.

And, side-note, honeybees are actually not indigenous to North America.  They were imported from Europe.  Now, back to our normal programming...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I've never been stung by a hornet but have always heard it's like small caliber gunshot.

When I was a kid one of my friends had one form in a shrub outside his bedroom window. His Dad got drunk and decided to plug the hole with a wine cork. He had to be taken to the ER from so many bites. They follow the attack pheromone.

I'm allergic to bee stings.

And I have been stung a lot. Ones and twos here and there, and a couple of times when I was stung hundreds of times at once. When I was young it was no big deal, and little or no reaction. But in my early 20's I knocked over a beehive with a tractor. I tried driving the tractor away before shutting it down and dismounting, but that proved to be a bad move, as tractors don't move very fast, so I shut it down and bailed, heading for a water hose. Got the bees away from me by hosing off, then went into the house.

I started to go into shock, and the swelling started. I called the doctor, they said call an ambulance. I hopped in the car and drove to their office, as it was only a few blocks away. They gave me a shot of something, and put me in an exam room. A nurse plucked hundreds of stingers from my scalp, neck, ears and arms, then left me alone. After a bit they came in, took my vitals, and gave me a shot of something else. About an hour later the doctor came in, examined me, asked how I was, and if I knew I was allergic to bee venom. I related my life's experiences and he prescribed an epi-pen, telling me that I will always need to have a fresh one nearby, if I ever get stung again I would need to use it immediately. He also said I should have called the ambulance, that treatment been delayed much longer he would not have been talking to me then.

He then asked the nurse to give me another injection, and said goodbye.

So I got an epi-pen, and replace it every two years.

I've been stung by yellow-jackets a couple of times recently, but didn't have the extreme reaction I did with the honeybees. Yellow-jackets don't loose their stinger, and can sting repeatedly. Each time it has only been one individual doing the stinging, and each time I had several stings. I promptly took benadryl, and the swelling and reaction was fairly mild, so I didn't feel the need to use the epi-pen, or see a doctor.

• Sad 1

When I was mowing apartment complexes I got hit quite often by the ones that live in the ground. Yellow jackets I believe? I've thrown weedeaters, blowers and jumped off mowers running and screaming. The Tennant's got a kick out of me, no extra charge. LOL

Awe the good old days. Thank goodness I made a few good decisions in my life. 

• Like 1

At the age of fourteen I worked for a beekeeper one summer. Interesting job. Cutting the limbs out of trees containing swarms of bees, putting as much of the swarm in a burlap bag as we could, then pile three people and the swarm of honey bees into a VW Beetle. The beekeeper had little to no reaction to stings. As the summer wore on, my reaction to stings became worse. The last time I got stung, one had crawled up my pant-leg so I reached down and crushed it from the outside, ignoring the stinger that was still pumping venom into my leg. The end result was the calf of my leg swelled to the point that I had to split the calf inseam on my Levis to get them on. I'm still fascinated with bees and much of our yearly garden is focused on drawing bees.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Still waiting 😞

image.png

I had three orders placed the first of November, shipped the first week, that stll show arrived at the originating post office, with that same, lame excuse of a message. A investigation claim was opened by the shipper, at my insistence, over two weeks ago, with a promise of a response in one business day.

I've demanded a refund, as it is clear that the merchandise will never be delivered.

Oh, and these were Christmas gifts.

Merry Christmas.

15 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Here is a perfect example of how bad our leaders in Congress are and why they all need to fired.   We have families suffering, business closing in record numbers (110,000) family owned restaurants in the US .  There are people about to lose their homes and jobs because of this pandemic.  So what do the American citizens get, so they can feed their family and pay their bills....$600.  All while the bill sends hundreds of millions of $$ to foreign countries for things nothing related to the pandemic.   Look at a short list below.  We’re sending $10  million for gender studies in Pakistan but if your an American family about to lose your house you get $600.  
Funding for these other initiatives should voted on independently not  by stuffing them in the Covid relief bill,  this a form a blackmail and business as usual in the swamp.  We are pathetic. 

You have highlighted what I believe is the biggest part of the problem right now... The twisted, misleading misinterpretation of info fed to you by the people whispering sweet nothings in your ear in your own corner. They tell you what to believe, and how you should react to it.

Did you actually read any of the bill?

Did you actually read ANY of it, or are you simply accepting the summary of the people in the media (radio/TV/web ) and accepting their interpretation hook, line, and sinker?

Why do I ask such a thing? Because the whole bill....  "This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021’’  "  is a far reaching budget bill that is mostly not about Covid at all. It's about a whole bunch of other stuff that was being voted on regardless of Covid. There are only two sections that pertain to Covid, and guess what... All of those page numbers you referenced above??? None of them are in the Covid relief sections at all.

So all those people saying "Look at all the pork stuck in the Covid bill!!" Clearly haven't read it either. First of all, because it's not "the Covid bill", it's the "Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021’’ , and second, All the parts someone told you that you shouldn't like aren't even in the Covid portion of the bill.

What we need is more independent educated thought instead of having our opinions fed to us.

• Like 1

Forgot...

All of the stuff highlighted as problematic on pages 1476 to 1500? All of that stuff is in the Department of State part about funds appropriated to the president.

DIVISION K—DEPARTMENT OF STATE, FOREIGN OPERATIONS, AND RELATED PROGRAMS APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
TITLE V - MULTILATERAL ASSISTANCE FUNDS APPROPRIATED TO THE PRESIDENT INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND PROGRAMS

So for future reference... The Covid stuff starts on page 1815. So anything on prior pages is not part of the "Corona Virus Response And Relief" section of the document.

Good points Bruce and no I didn’t read all 5000+ pages and I doubt most of our congressional leader have either. But you make a valid argument and you’re right about how information is funneled as “news” to people is their respective stove pipes
This is the way our government works I guess. We’ve been on continuing resolutions and bandaids approach to budgets in government since 1996. We now do this appropriations thing.
I got that from a friend from work as I’ve mostly detached from the news.
I still don’t like the way we do business. Why can’t we pass a clean relief bill to help struggling Americans right now, this all or nothing approach doesn’t allow members of congress to vote against things they disagree with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk