IGNORED

Fabricated Sanden compressor bracket for driver's side

Freez74

My car came to me with one of those huge York compressors and brackets hanging off the passenger side of the engine.  It didn't work and I took it off because it was in the way.  I would like to have air again, though, but thought it would be nice to use the four threaded holes on the left side of the engine block.  I bought the adjuster brackets from Summit for $45, and welded them to a flat plate.  Had to make a few trips to the store to find the right belt.  It clears everything, and the compressor is easily removed, installed, or adjusted.  I think it should work well.

bracket.jpg

compressor and bracket.jpg

compressor installed 1.jpg

compressor installed 2.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Nicely done.  Clever use of low-cost, easily-available parts.

Thank you.  The compressor is a Chinese Sanden copy from Ebay for 75 dollars, I just needed something to mock it up with.  It may even work for a while!

The brackets I purchased are slotted to allow the compressor to swing and tighten the belt.  I chose these to avoid using an idler pulley.  If the compressor can only be mounted to a fixed bracket, an idler pulley is necessary.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

So i got a question, what’s the point of an idler pulley and why do some cars have them? Why does this application not warrant one? 

It is a challenge to design a good working adjustable compressor bracket. Most systems that use an idler pulley do it for two reasons.

1. Adjustment. The larger the V-Belt section the deeper the belt is and requiring more movement to replace the belt. The larger the adjusting pulley is the more movement required to release and replace the belt.

For example: The fan belt is a  A or SPA section belt with a length 900mm. The belt is 10mm deep and the alternator pulley has a small diameter. To remove the belt you will need approx 20mm to release to belt get it over the pulley groove and apply the correct tension. The alternator is easy to move and it has no big hoses sticking out to hit things.

The compressor on the other side uses a B or SPB section belt (13mm deep) and has a large pulley requiring more adjustment to remove the belt. The compressor is bigger and takes up much more space. The hoses stick out and don't give much room for adjustment or they have to be long enough to allow adjustment and still have enough freedom to compansate for engine movement. The compressor adjustable bracket doesn't move the compressor directly away from the crankshaft, but in an arch requiring more movement. Its easier to move a small idler pulley 50mm than the compressor.

2. Tension. Applying the right tension to the fan belt is easier because it is a small section belt and the alternator is accessable.

The compressor requires more power therefore uses a B or SPB section belt with a greater contact area. They also have a higher tension. The idler adjustment bolt is easier to set belt tension.

Not trying to take anything away from the PO's initiative, but these will be some of the challenges he will face. All solvable with enough R&D. Choosing the right length belt will be important and routing the hoses to give yourself enough room to adjust the compressor.

V-Belts Imperial.jpg

V-Belts metric.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Freez74 said:

Thanks for the enlightenment on V-belts!

No problem.

Your bracket with that v-belt looks like it's positioned the compressor very well and still giving you good clearance between compressor and frame. You might want to do some research on the hose fittings. If you get the 90degree elbow instead of the curved elbow, it will give you more room to move and adjust the compressor.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-15211

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-354300