IGNORED

Electric fuel pumps

AK260

Some BMW's, before intake pumps became the thing,, have the fuel pump mounted in a rubber container.  The rubber container/bottle thing is the part that get bolted to the car.  I'll post a picture if I find one.  80's cars seems like the range, if I remember.  The container is about the size of an aftermarket Airtex EFI pump.

I am using a carter pump do not remember the model #. but is in the post by me as I installed it last year. I can tell you it  is as quiet as a mouse. the most pressure I can get out of it is 3.47 lbs with a pressure regulator and  the 3.47lbs is more than enough for the su carbs.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot some pictures of the fuel delivery setup on my race Z with the stoopit phone the other day.

The rules require a flame retardant bulkhead between the fuel cell and the passenger compartment, so I built one with aluminum sheet picked up at Boeing Surplus in Kent, Washington (now closed and only available online - I used to go there a couple times a year, and bought lots of materials and abrasive supplies there). It also makes a great place for the dash plaques from the races I have competed in.

The supply lines start in the rear corners of the fuel cell, there is a sump about 4” square to ensure an ample supply of fuel under acceleration and cornering. Passing through the access plate the lines then go through 10 micron screens, the Carter fuel pumps, check valves, then are joined up, passed through the floor bulkhead and connected to the steel tubing going to the engine bay. There a short flex line connects to a red Holley fuel pressure regulator with a gauge. The regulator has two outlets, so I ran one to each carb.

The engine is prepped to ICSCC Production Car rules. Cylinder head to to manifold port matching, and necessary blending is allowed. Although never on a dyno, the guy that ported and flowed the head, manifolds and carbs estimated a theoretical 230 horsepower. Notice I mentioned the entire intake and exhaust path was on a flow bench. We realized huge gains with some creative work, including altering the length of the intake runners by using two isolators between the carbs and manifolds (gasket type and thickness is free by the rules).

More important was with the the increase in airflow over a “stock” setup, with my “stock” setup, along with the increased demand for fuel. This dual pump and pickup configuration supplied fuel adequately for the rigors of racing, so it would certainly be a decent setup for a street driven Z, especially one that has been breathed on a bit.

3349A88A-EF3E-42DF-B6EF-1144622ED7F9.jpeg

544E8E93-403D-453A-B14D-8704BE66336D.jpeg

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

Double stack carb spacers? Never heard that but I'm no racer.

2 x these with longer bolts will add power? With a mechanical pump or would you need the electric like you have?

I'm thinking of switching to SUs on my EFI '77 2.8 that's been "breathed" on a little bit. Opened up the ports to a trumpet looking match. 

It's either play with what I have or get another motorcycle, my Mom's still alive but another bike and she would drop dead. " I'm coming Elizabeth!! the dummy bought another motorcycle".

I'd have to go electric for my N42 head. I have a high lift cam kit sitting on a shelf, MSA calls it a stage 3. I think it's a schneider 274? Yep, .480.  http://schneidercams.com/274FL6.aspx

Carburetor Insulator Spacer and Gasket OEM 240Z 260Z | Z Car Depot Inc

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1